1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 Double Zoom Kit II or E-PM1 for first interchangeable lens camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mimeismoney, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mimeismoney

mimeismoney New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi,
    I'm looking at these two cameras for our first digital interchangeable lens camera. Price is definitely a consideration, the double zoom kit is $399 and the Mini is $449. I like the pop up flash on the E-PL1 and the additional lens seems like a good value. Will we be very frustrated by the slow and less precise autofocus? We will be travelling with the camera, doing mainly landscape photography. I would also like to be able to get some nice images of my horse and my cat. Thanks for any recommendations.

2. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Cameta camera is selling the e-pl2 kit for $369 w/ free shipping. It's a Olympus demo unit- but carries a full 1yr warranty.

Might be worth considering.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the E-PL2 kit will be much better than the E-PL1, or my other choice would be the E-PM1 Mini with kit lens (I would go for the 17mm pancake prime if it's available, but the kit zoom will work as well). The twin lens kit is nothing special, and you would be much better off with a nicer body like the E-PM1. The E-PM1 does come with a pop-up flash, btw. It's in the box.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another vote for either the E-PM1 or the E-PL2. If you want a built-in flash, then definitely the E-PL2. The E-PL1 isn't a God-awful camera... but you would discover in short order that you must buy a $200 electronic viewfinder for it because the E-PL1's rear LCD simply won't show much in bright sunlight.

With any of these cameras, listen to Ned and work hard to add a faster prime - the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 at the very minimum - in addition to the kit lens. If you can swing the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, even better.

5. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Is the LCD on the EPM1 significantly better than the one on the EPL1? I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future and that's been one of my questions. If I were buying for the first time I would certainly go for the EPM1 over the older camera. I like my EPL1 and it's a capable camera, but you have to work within its limitations - the screen is one and the autofocus speed is the other. Both of those can be frustrating.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, having owned both cameras, I would say so. The E-PM1 LCD has twice the resolution, is brighter and is larger. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which strikes some people as odd, given that the camera's native aspect ratio is 4:3. But at least you have the added real estate for use with whatever format you decide to use. Now, I don't want to mislead you... no LCD is fantastic in bright sunlight. That's why I also have the VF-2 EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you use the LCD for any kind of manual focus, you need the double resolution of the E-PL2 or newer over the low resolution E-P1, E-P2, and E-PL1 screens. The E-PL1 is the worst though, being not only lower res but also smaller. The E-PL2 is better than the E-PL3 or E-PM1 even though they're all 3" diagonal, because the E-PL2 is 4:3 aspect making your image effectively larger (assuming native aspect ratio in your shots). The E-P3 is a different type of screen altogether, with a different set of advantages and disadvantages (OLED vs. LCD).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    E-PM1 all the way. It's faster, has an all metal build, the dramatic art tone, 1/4000th shutter, .01 second shutter lag, etc. It's an excellent camera.

9. Need, of course, being a relative term :smile:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    True. I used my E-P1 for a good two years I think, and of course there was no option of an EVF either. Before there was an E-PL2 to compare to, I didn't mind it. ;)

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    + for E-PM1. Much faster AF and processor, AF Assist light, 35 AF points, 5.5 fps burst mode, 1/4000s shutter, higher resolution and brighter (faster refresh rates/contrast ratio) LCD, full HD w/stereo, supports wireless (and wired) remote shutter release, much faster work with art filters plus art filter bracketing, better AWB, all metal build, noticeably smaller and lighter

12. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Personally I'd go with the twin epl1 kit which I did btw.
    If you do mostly outdoor type shooting the focus speed will be fine.
    Indoors is another ball game.
    I use the epl1 mostly outdoors and really like having the longer lens instead of a newer body.
    If money is a concern the twin kit is a wonderful choice and the two lenses are pretty good.
    I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

13. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Milwaukee
    I will add this- if you have bigger hands, the E-PM1 can be a bit odd feeling. I had purchased an E-PM1 and came across a crazy deal on a E-PL2 the same week. Had both for a few days and vastly preferred the feel and handling of the E-PL2. Others may not feel as I did- but I'm really digging the PL2. (I also had tried the E-PM1 with a grip from flipbac, still felt the PL2 worked better in my hands)

Chris

14. mimeismoney

mimeismoney New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2011
    Dear all,
    Thanks so much for the advice, I ended up buying my boyfriend the E-PL1 exactly because of the big hands problem. Plus he's a lefty which makes handling any camera a challenge. I probably should have gone with the E-PL2, but so far he is really happy with what he has. On the wishlist now, a good prime lens, the VF-2 and an E-PM1 for me!

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Luckily I also have E-PL2 as my second body and I'm not letting it go anytime soon! It even has some adantages over E-P3, mainly the built-in flash is vari-angle bounceable and the grip is the best out of all Pens.
    Still we are in m43 cause of size/weight so I don't think that ergonomics will ever be as good as DSLR then might as well go or the smallest package.