E-PL1 decision and lenses made (just about!), hello all, advice on filters n such pls

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lofties123, Jul 13, 2010.

1. lofties123

lofties123 New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2010
    Hi everyone

What a delight to find such a positive creative and supportive forum! Welcome relief from... er never mind.

Yes, after chatting Brian M (grateful thanks, as ever) it will be E-PL1 and EVF and the following

14 - 42 kit
    20mm pany macro
    9-18

I will rely on my beloved 50mm for macro and equally beloved 70-300 for super-zoom for now.

Advice please as I have to order quickly and collect in flying visit to Uk from Andalucia :

for.....................

14 - 42 kit
    20mm pany
    9-18 Oly

what size filters do they take? (basic UV I mean) - cos I may have already among my myriad lenses!!

can they all take my Cokin grads in filter holders.... or are they rotational? I love my grads......

do they come with lens hoods? if not can I order the cheapies... if so which?? Any experiences anyone?

which adaptor (s) would I need for using

the Pany on E-PL1
    my older 50 mm and 70-300 on E-Pl1.

I know I can look up and am busy doing so now... but my internet access is limited up here so may never get there without some help.

Lofty

xx

I spose one final quest...... if a superzoom were to be recommended would you go for Oly or Pany??

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome to the home of m4/3rds John :friends:, If you can find a kit with the mZD 9-18 rather than the mZD 14-42 and add the 20mm f1.7 that would be good.

The mZD 14-42 is certainly an OK kit lens, but becomes a little redundant considering the ideal kit of mZD 9-18, mZD 14-150 and Lumix 20mm f1.7

As for filter sizes,
    the Lumix 20mm f1.7 is a 46mm thread,
    the mZD 9-18 is a 52mm and
    the mZD 14-150 is a 58mm...

Good luck, and have a safe trip!

p.s. without a doubt, the mZD 14-150 would my choice of superzoom for the Pen.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Does Olympus sell the kit with the 9-18 in the UK?

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Lisa, I thought I had seen a kit out there... but just having checked, it looks like you can get body only, body + mZD 14-42 or body + 17mm f2.8 pancake lens.

Cheers

Brian

5. photo owl

photo owl Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010
    filter capability (on the 14-42) was second biggest issue on last weeks trip to Tuscany with a new E-P1

I made the call to take it rather than a 30 + 12-60, which is my normal travel gear.

I did take an 82mm CPL and shot through that on a number of occasions, but holding up the NDG8 I also took was a step to far!

The great news was that with all that light, the jpeg engine and auto gradation, the overall results were good - the good news was the looks the silver kit got in Italy; dangling on my wrist - and my neck appreciated it too :)

Yes the 14-42 rotates, and it's an odd size for filters (40.5mm?) which I won't bother with.

The 14-150 is an obvious choice as Brian points out - although for the last few days I have been using the 12-60 (surprise surprise) but it rather defeats the object of the E-P (although video is superb....) but then again so does a single lens solution!

Just realised I left the biggest issue out - tilt/swivel LCD.....

6. lofties123

lofties123 New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2010
    aargh yes, tilt and swivel...

don't tempt me Phto owl, also think tilt and swivel is vital and a sad omission on Oly's ... and it makes the g1 SOOOOOOOO tempting. It's at ludicrous prices in Uk with 14-45 kit.......... knees tremble what should I do??? lol /..... defeats the purpose of down-sizing but at 294 pounds with pay-back (I thuik that's the latest price I saw..... eeeeek.

Thanks for feedback everyone

Lofty

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.