E-PL1 choppy video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by giuseppe, Apr 4, 2010.

1. giuseppe

giuseppe New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2010
    My apartment is next to a railroad track. I tried using my new E-PL1 video to record a train passing by. With the zoom lens, each car filled the screen. The camera was set on "P" mode and IS setting #1. When playing back on my HD TV - using an HDMI cable - the images of train cars passing by was so choppy and staggard that I could not read words on the sides of the train cars. Thinking the problem might be IS, I disabled it and used the video setting for the next train. But I had the same problem.

Can anyone help me here? Must I assume the camera is not capable of recording subjects moving fast from side to side, or is there a way to set the camera to get clear video images of such subjects?

Note: I tried the same thing with a (much cheaper) Flip video camera and it worked fine - all of the moving train cars appear clear and sharp.

Thanks for listening....

2. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    what memory card are you using?

3. dayento2

dayento2 New to Mu-43

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    are you using a Class 6 memory card or faster?

4. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    more pertinent is what card. I have a class 4 that does 10.7MBps write speed, the video bitrate is under 40mbps = under 5MBps, meaning I have double of what is needed. Some class 2 cards are even fast enough.