E-PL1 choppy video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by giuseppe, Apr 4, 2010.

1. giuseppe

giuseppe New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2010
    My apartment is next to a railroad track. I tried using my new E-PL1 video to record a train passing by. With the zoom lens, each car filled the screen. The camera was set on "P" mode and IS setting #1. When playing back on my HD TV - using an HDMI cable - the images of train cars passing by was so choppy and staggard that I could not read words on the sides of the train cars. Thinking the problem might be IS, I disabled it and used the video setting for the next train. But I had the same problem.

Can anyone help me here? Must I assume the camera is not capable of recording subjects moving fast from side to side, or is there a way to set the camera to get clear video images of such subjects?

Note: I tried the same thing with a (much cheaper) Flip video camera and it worked fine - all of the moving train cars appear clear and sharp.

Thanks for listening....

2. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    what memory card are you using?

3. dayento2

dayento2 New to Mu-43

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    are you using a Class 6 memory card or faster?

4. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    more pertinent is what card. I have a class 4 that does 10.7MBps write speed, the video bitrate is under 40mbps = under 5MBps, meaning I have double of what is needed. Some class 2 cards are even fast enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.