E-PL1 built-in flash problem, camera couldn't detech pop-up flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by evolution921, Feb 15, 2011.

1. evolution921

evolution921 New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2010
    Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

The built-in flash on my 4 month old E-PL1 has been working flawlessly until a couple of days ago. I shot in manual/aperture priority mode with "fill-in" flash setting, however, when I release the flash to take a picture, nothing happens. I thought I didn't give it enough time to charge, so I waited, and still nothing. I went into settings, flash setting is grayed out.
    Fiddling with the pop-up flash, I discovered that the only way to get the camera to detect the flash is to use my finger to physically tilt the flash head up a bit every time I pop it up. I'm guessing the flash unit needs adjustment. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do or I would have to sent it back to Olympus for repairs?
  2. dodgyshoulder

dodgyshoulder New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2013
    Did you get it sorted?

I've been searching the web for this problem and you're the only person who has posted anything about it. I thought the flash bulb had blown but pulling back on it slightly reconnects it. Did you have to send the camera to Olympus to get it sorted or is there a less expensive option?

Many thanks
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    How about a bit of tape along the front edge where the 'arm' hits the 'hole' ... that might force it to be a smidgen tilted back and activate the body to acknowledge that the flash has popped up.
    I'm in the process of making a modifed body and I found the flash is more likely to activate if it pops up almost violently rather than gently ... might be a bit of help there.