E-PL1 built-in flash problem, camera couldn't detech pop-up flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by evolution921, Feb 15, 2011.

1. evolution921

evolution921 New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2010
    Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

The built-in flash on my 4 month old E-PL1 has been working flawlessly until a couple of days ago. I shot in manual/aperture priority mode with "fill-in" flash setting, however, when I release the flash to take a picture, nothing happens. I thought I didn't give it enough time to charge, so I waited, and still nothing. I went into settings, flash setting is grayed out.
    Fiddling with the pop-up flash, I discovered that the only way to get the camera to detect the flash is to use my finger to physically tilt the flash head up a bit every time I pop it up. I'm guessing the flash unit needs adjustment. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do or I would have to sent it back to Olympus for repairs?

2. dodgyshoulder

dodgyshoulder New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2013
    Did you get it sorted?

I've been searching the web for this problem and you're the only person who has posted anything about it. I thought the flash bulb had blown but pulling back on it slightly reconnects it. Did you have to send the camera to Olympus to get it sorted or is there a less expensive option?

Many thanks

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How about a bit of tape along the front edge where the 'arm' hits the 'hole' ... that might force it to be a smidgen tilted back and activate the body to acknowledge that the flash has popped up.
    I'm in the process of making a modifed body and I found the flash is more likely to activate if it pops up almost violently rather than gently ... might be a bit of help there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.