E-PL1 built-in flash in low light

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JuleeM13, Dec 31, 2011.

1. JuleeM13

JuleeM13 New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2011
    I'm just learning to use the camera and haven't mastered the manual modes yet. When I try to take a pic in low light (so far in iauto) with the flash, the green dot in the upper right of the lcd displays but the photo won't take. Why won't the picture take? Hoping to use the camera for NYE tomorrow and we will for sure be in a dimly lit setting.
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If the green dot is blinking, it hasn't managed to find focus.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hold on the half-press of the shutter until you get a solid green box and confirmation beep, then fully depress the shutter.
  4. JuleeM13

JuleeM13 New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2011
    I half press the button to focus and get a solid green dot. Then I push it all the way and the flash doesn't fire and the picture doesn't take. If there is more light it works fine.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Can we assume that your flash setting (accessible from the right hand button on the four-way pad) is not set to "off"?
  6. JuleeM13

JuleeM13 New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2011
    It is set to auto. Regardless...why wouldn't the photo take when I press the button all the way?
  7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Perhaps this ?

E-PL1 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

Someone else mentioned something similar in another thread - if for some reason it doesn't lock focus it won't take the shot.

How about if you try in P or A mode ? Does the flash fire ?