E-PL1 - AWB and meter?

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
I was wondering how the PL1 compares to the PM1 and P3 I've owned in regards to metering and AWB. I'm not too concerned about AF speed and overall system response. I also am prepared to deal with the low res screen. Any other things I should also consider before I order?

Thanks.

Pyro451

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I don't have this camera, but I recently bought the OM-D and a Photovision white balance target. I got the 14" one, but BHPhoto has several sizes.

It takes me less than 1 minute to get perfect white balance for an outdoor event (as long as the light is not constantly changing...like at sunset). I also use it indoors often and it works great. I have never used a white balance target before, but I am really happy about not having to guess in PP.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I was wondering how the PL1 compares to the PM1 and P3 I've owned in regards to metering and AWB. I'm not too concerned about AF speed and overall system response. I also am prepared to deal with the low res screen. Any other things I should also consider before I order?

Thanks.

Metering is about the same, but AWB is far different as long as you turn OFF "Keep Warm Colors" on the new cameras (E-PM1 and E-P3) through Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Keep Warm Colors => OFF. If you turn this "feature" off on the new cameras you can unlock the amazing new AWB system which can adjust to almost any lighting situation (except of course flash, since it's not present until triggered). If you leave Keep Warm Colors on, then it reverts to the old AWB system like that found on your E-PL1.

That said, Olympus cameras have always been arguably the best for AWB anyways... but now they're noticeably better than any other digital camera on the market. With the E-PL1, you shouldn't have any problems with outdoor AWB. If you're indoors, just use a Reference White Balance (One-Touch WB) whenever you can, and when you can't use presets like Tungsten or Fluorescent (depending on the light source, of course).

If you're balancing for strobes, then you always want to use a Reference White Balance, as this is the only way the camera can know for sure what kind of lighting you will introduce into the image. Your flash will be triggered with the reference shot, so the camera can balance with it.

mnhoj

Real Name
John M
Metering is about the same, but AWB is far different as long as you turn OFF "Keep Warm Colors" on the new cameras (E-PM1 and E-P3) through Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Keep Warm Colors => OFF. If you turn this "feature" off on the new cameras you can unlock the amazing new AWB system which can adjust to almost any lighting situation (except of course flash, since it's not present until triggered). If you leave Keep Warm Colors on, then it reverts to the old AWB system like that found on your E-PL1.

That said, Olympus cameras have always been arguably the best for AWB anyways... but now they're noticeably better than any other digital camera on the market. With the E-PL1, you shouldn't have any problems with outdoor AWB. If you're indoors, just use a Reference White Balance (One-Touch WB) whenever you can, and when you can't use presets like Tungsten or Fluorescent (depending on the light source, of course).

If you're balancing for strobes, then you always want to use a Reference White Balance, as this is the only way the camera can know for sure what kind of lighting you will introduce into the image. Your flash will be triggered with the reference shot, so the camera can balance with it.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I think the PL1 is going to work out perfectly for me. Thanks for the great info.

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
At base ISO (100) be prepared to sharper, more detailed and appealing outdoor jpegs from the E-PL1 as compared to your your E-PM1 and E-P3. That may be a surprise considering the E-PL1 is supposed to be a "low end" camera.

The default AWB on the E-PL1 is a bit too warm for my taste (outdoors on sunny days) so I compensate by setting the white balance to sunny (5300 kelvin) instead of AWB and I set the white balance compensation to -1 on the Amber side and 0 or +1 on the green side.

Indoors the AWB of your E-PM1 and E-P3 is better than the E-PL1

mnhoj

Real Name
John M
At base ISO (100) be prepared to sharper, more detailed and appealing outdoor jpegs from the E-PL1 as compared to your your E-PM1 and E-P3. That may be a surprise considering the E-PL1 is supposed to be a "low end" camera.

The default AWB on the E-PL1 is a bit too warm for my taste (outdoors on sunny days) so I compensate by setting the white balance to sunny (5300 kelvin) instead of AWB and I set the white balance compensation to -1 on the Amber side and 0 or +1 on the green side.

Indoors the AWB of your E-PM1 and E-P3 is better than the E-PL1

More music to my ears. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom