E-PL1 autofocus broken?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Grover, May 24, 2011.

1. Grover

Grover New to Mu-43

May 24, 2011
    I let someone else use my camera yesterday, and upon getting it back, my autofocus no longer works right.

I'm using the 14-42 lens that came with the camera, and there's only a very narrow window (only a few inches deep) that I can focus in properly. Otherwise, the camera doesn't seem to be able to focus on anything.

Is this a sign of a damaged lens? Or is there some weird setting that has somehow locked my focus distance?

My camera and lens are still under warranty, but since I am traveling at the moment, I don't have my warranty card and sales receipt with me, so if I need to repair it, I will have to pay.

Hopefully I won't have to pay American prices for service in Indonesia.
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Look on the forum there have been other complaints of similar issues with other users. Try removing the lens and the battery for a few hours and then re-installing lens and battery. Also, it could possibly be due to humidity, as I noticed where you are situated. If you have access to silica gel packets, pack one with your camera body. Can't guarantee these options will work, but may solve your problem. Good luck!!
  3. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    On my EPL1, I was playing around with my 14-150mm ED MSC lens. I had accidently pressed the zoom button (the button with the magnifying glass). My camera wasn't focusing right until I figured out I had pressed that button and re-pressed it to exit the magnify mode.
  4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Can you explain more about the problem? I Still can't figure out exactly what did you mean by "narrow window" symptom? Perhaps the picture can explain it better?

And where did you stay in Indonesia? I hope it's not in some remote place as Olympus only have Service Centre in Indonesia's Capitol: Jakarta. And not only that they will charge you double since Olympus Indonesia will only service Olympus Camera and Lens that have local warranty. This due to the fact that Olympus Global still not open it's branch in Indonesia despite Olympus Pen quite popular in Indonesia, that's way they refuse to accept Olympus International Warranty.
  5. Grover

Grover New to Mu-43

May 24, 2011
    What I mean by a narrow window is that I can get the autofocus to work, but only at a fairly precise distance. For example, I can focus on an object 5m away, but not 4.5m or 5.5m. In fact, it's even narrower than that.

I was in Jogja at the time (which means M4/3 is impossible to find) and am now in Jakarta, but I will most likely have to wait until I get to KL before I can get good service at a decent price.