E-PL1 audio a big disappointment, even with external stereo mic

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Rider, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    The audio recorded on my E-PL1 is really bad. Not only is the sound thin and tingy compared to my old Nikon D90, but there is a constant hiss punctuated by a crackle every few seconds. Could I have a defective unit?

At first I thought it might be the IBIS, so I turned that off and put the camera on a tripod. The sound did not go away.

I tried the SEMA-1 external mic kit. It's even worse, with the external mic mounted on the hotshoe, because it magnifies every sound the camera makes. Even manual focusing the kit lens get picked up and magnified. Moving the mic off-camera is a little better, but for that much work I might as well get an external recorder.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome to the forum Rider. I gather that you are using you E-PL1 as a video camera. I'm not sure whether these cameras are made for dedicated video but added just as a fun functionality. Even though it still sounds strange for you to have a hissing crackling noise. I don't have a olympus as I own a GF1 but hopefully there will be someone who may be able to help you with your question.

Hope to see you round the threads,