E-PL1 art filters, how to process grainy-film option and keep the grain???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lofties123, Jul 24, 2010.

1. lofties123

lofties123 New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2010
    Hi all

After much ploughing through all your lovely info, plumped for E-PL1 and kit 14-42 plus 17mm 1.7. Little bird dropped me a prezzy of Pany 45-200 too so am DESPERATE to pay back advice and show images, however feeble. BUT... I centred on grainy-film art option in Victoria Station shots, look great but as soon as I download to process via beloved Oly master, grain vanishes and a dull old B & W image is left. ame in Lightzone.

Any advice on this issue and is it same for all Art effects??

Thanks

Lofty

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I suspect you're feeding LightZone with the RAW image instead of a jpg. As lightzone doesn't know Olympus "special sauce" to make a grainy art filter, you indeed end up with a clean b&w.

Either use Olympus viewer 2 to convert first your raw to something LZ can understand, or feed lightzone with the sidecar jpg from the camera (and set your camera to record RAW + jpg).

• Like Like x 2
  3. lofties123

lofties123 New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2010
    hi mauve

thanks,...... but having checked, they are indeed JPEGS. Strange, yes??? Am still experimenting.....

Lofty

4. lofties123

lofties123 New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2010
    another odd thing.... grainy filter...

is that when simply down-loaded to my pictures, the image is de-grained. But when opened in Photoclean (e.g.) the down-load is grainy, tho even re-sizing the image de-grained. And in LZ and Oly Master, the opened image is de-grained even before any action is taken.

Think Oly must have thoguht this through, so will keep checking. Just wondered what others expereinces have been.

Lofty

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    i just found a "grainy" art shot from my E-P2 ... certainly grainy still in Olympus Viewer2, also looked at it in lightroom, and it's still grainy there (though it subjectively renders a little differently) ... hard to understand why it might be different for you ... are you comparing it with the view in the camera LCD? Which will have rather less resolution that your computer screen and so perhaps appear "more" grainy ...

• Like Like x 2