1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL1 and heavy lens on a tripod

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mikekiwi, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi,

I bought myself a pretty decent macro lens (Tokina At-X 90mm f2.5) which is rather heavy (700gr with extender). For macro I do need to use a tripod, but the lens doesn't have a collar with tripod-mount. So I need to use the tripod-mount on the E-PL1 and the mount of the camera is carrying all the weight. Will that work and hold without doing damage to the E-PL1?

Are there other solutions to support the lens while it is on a tripod?

Thanks for any input!

2. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Bill. Handheld shooting for macro-purposes (1:1) with a very shallow DOF and Manual Focus is not done. So it has to be on a tripod.

The links are great, I'm still wondering why my searches up till now missed 2 out of the 3 lnks you mentioned...

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I've wondered if one could find a secure way of sitting a beanbag on top of a tripod ... the Stativklemme solution was just too much cash for the amount i'd use it ...

4. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I have seen that one indeed and besides the fact that for my lens this would be a bit more difficult, it is a serious price indeed.

My set-up will be mounted on something like this part of the time:

[​IMG]

Maybe I can use something on the rail to support the lens...

5. Orientator

Orientator Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    Weight should be ok!

Hi,
    I'm using manual tele lenses quite often with my E-PL1 on a tripod.
    The biggest ones (Tokina 80-200 f4 and Vivitar 135 f2.8) are at 500-650 g incl. Adapter + sometimes a tele-converter (70g).

Result: The weight is no problem.

The only restriction I would see is if you carry around the tripod with the camera on it. I think this might be too much.

Stefan

6. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    thanks for that! This is something to remember indeed. Although I still see some problems as the focussing ring on my Macro-lens is as big as the lens itself, it is the best thing I've seen up till now to overcome this problem.

@Orientator: thanks for sharing your experiences, that is good information. I'm certainly going to give it a try!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.