1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 and heavy lens on a tripod

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mikekiwi, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi,

I bought myself a pretty decent macro lens (Tokina At-X 90mm f2.5) which is rather heavy (700gr with extender). For macro I do need to use a tripod, but the lens doesn't have a collar with tripod-mount. So I need to use the tripod-mount on the E-PL1 and the mount of the camera is carrying all the weight. Will that work and hold without doing damage to the E-PL1?

Are there other solutions to support the lens while it is on a tripod?

Thanks for any input!

2. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Bill. Handheld shooting for macro-purposes (1:1) with a very shallow DOF and Manual Focus is not done. So it has to be on a tripod.

The links are great, I'm still wondering why my searches up till now missed 2 out of the 3 lnks you mentioned...

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I've wondered if one could find a secure way of sitting a beanbag on top of a tripod ... the Stativklemme solution was just too much cash for the amount i'd use it ...

4. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I have seen that one indeed and besides the fact that for my lens this would be a bit more difficult, it is a serious price indeed.

My set-up will be mounted on something like this part of the time:

[​IMG]

Maybe I can use something on the rail to support the lens...

5. Orientator

Orientator Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    Weight should be ok!

Hi,
    I'm using manual tele lenses quite often with my E-PL1 on a tripod.
    The biggest ones (Tokina 80-200 f4 and Vivitar 135 f2.8) are at 500-650 g incl. Adapter + sometimes a tele-converter (70g).

Result: The weight is no problem.

The only restriction I would see is if you carry around the tripod with the camera on it. I think this might be too much.

Stefan

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    thanks for that! This is something to remember indeed. Although I still see some problems as the focussing ring on my Macro-lens is as big as the lens itself, it is the best thing I've seen up till now to overcome this problem.

@Orientator: thanks for sharing your experiences, that is good information. I'm certainly going to give it a try!