1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 advanced guide?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by santhoshn, Jun 22, 2010.

1. santhoshn

santhoshn New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Dear All,

I have been using the E-PL1 for the past one month. Greatly impressed by the photographs taken by it. Have used iAuto/ART modes most of the times. Have also tried using P/A/S/M modes, but, not so successful in getting good quality images. There is a difference in what I see on the LCD and what gets captured. Have tried following the manual, but no visible effect. Can anyone guide in using the P/A/S/M mode effectively?

Thanks,
    Santhosh N

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Santosh, and welcome :friends:

where are you based? I'm in the UK... the best way to learn is in person, I'd be happy to meet up if you're within reach of the Peak District?

Otherwise, I'm sure we can give you some simple pointers... the key thing is to get a basic understanding of exposure control - how aperture and shutter speed are related.

I'd suggest starting in Aperture Priority and observing how your chosen aperture affects depth of field and shutter speed.

Cheers

Brian

3. santhoshn

santhoshn New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks Brian. I am in India. Any pointers will be helpful. I will experiment with the Aperture priority mode and get back. Whenever I try any of these modes(P/A/S/M), I need to use the flash. The image appears dark without it. But the LCD displays properly. Is using flash mandatory in these modes?

Santhosh N

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    That's a shame - if you ever travel to the UK, please let me know... and likewise I would love to visit India one day - I will certainly announce that trip! :yahoo:

You could try selecting Auto ISO to handle the lower light situations - but also, remember the lower the aperture number (e.g. f2.8 with the 17mm pancake lens, f3.5 with the kit zoom) the more light will be allowed through to the sensor.

Please feel free to keep asking questions - many of our members are better at expressing what they know, and we are all here to learn together :friends:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

• Like Like x 1
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You sure you don't have that lcd booster thing 'on' ? If so turn it off, otherwise your lcd won't reflect your changes :

gears menu -> D -> live view boost -> off.

to enable gears menu, go to 'wrench' menu and set gears menu display to on.

• Like Like x 3
  7. santhoshn

santhoshn New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    @mauve & Brian: Thanks for the tips. I can see changes in the LCD in manual mode after turning the live view boost off. Looks like there is some issue in the S mode, as already mentioned in another thread. The images appear darker for me too.

@BBW: Thanks for the links. This forum is so much resourceful.

As a photography newbie, I found the following links helpful in getting started:
    The Ultimate Beginner’s Introduction to Exposure | Phototuts+
    Photography Kick-start Guide: Adjusting Your Camera?s Settings for the Photo You Want | Phototuts+
    Hope, somebody like me may find it useful. It's really fun tinkering with the parameters affecting the exposure. In concept things appear simple, but in practice its a bit complicated. Hope I'll get better with more practice :) Also, I am now finding the need for a view finder, when taking pictures in bright sunlight.

@Brian: I will surely try to catch up with you if I visit UK.. We can also meet up, if you visit India. I stay in Bangalore.

Santhosh N

• Like Like x 3
  8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    This is to be expected : in automatic modes, the camera calculates a "correct" exposure depending on the metering preference (matrix, central weighted, spot, highlights, shadows - you decide), and adjust the 2nd parameter to suit this exposure given your input on the other. In A mode, the camera choose speed, and in S mode, the camera decides on aperture.

To alter the camera program, you can set the +/- exposure adjustment to the thumb roller. Therefore, you dial first the compensation bias in EV, and then you adjust speed or arperture with the bottom thumbwheel depending on the mode you are in.

Hope this was clear,

Cheers,

Mauve

(oops, I realise you have a e-pl1 hence no thumb roller; wait for Brian to explain how to bias exposure with your body ! ).

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

santhoshn, thank you for those links. I'm going to show them to my daughter, and read through them completely myself.

On the E-PL1, the EV + - is accessible via the top button, just above the "OK" button. It's extremely useful in getting exposure right - that's what I believe Mauve is referring to but didn't quite know where it was on the E-PL1.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Exactly. This is the standard place to find it. E-p1 and E-p2 have an edge here because you can customise A and S modes to have either speed or aperture on the wheel around the quadrifoil buttons, and direct +/- function on the thumb roller for instant exposure correction.

Cheers,

Mauve

11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    psam is similar in many systems, hence the shared acryonym , program uses the cameras computer to attempt to find the best combination of lens opening size [A] and speed of the shutter{S] to give a good picture , it can usually work well in a basic way without
    trying to second guess the shooter intentions as the scene mode are designed to do .

my humble advice to you is to divide your shooting situations in some simple categories

for instance indoor shots of people at 1to 3 meters try these at A mode with the
    f stop at the lowers number value[ biggest opening] try these at iso 800 and play around
    reviewing as apoint of learning what works and what does not

the point of A S and M is for you to dial in the best setting at the moment
    the point of this greater user control if for you to have more keeper photos, the wayto do that is to spend some time in experement mode

the other catagories of shooting situiations could include outdoor shots facing bright light
    , facing away from bright light,shots outdoors in the evening or in subdued light indoor close up all save different needs

play and review is the best way forward , have a shooter as a friend for guidance , and in mere weeks you will have it
    but a lifetime in necessary to perfect it

get to know iso and how and why to change it [ its your friend]

if you do this you will be shocked how much your shooting in psam willl improve
    i saw brians generous offer of personal help , this is a great idea , locally a camera lover
    in your locale could go on shooting excersions explain what you would like to grow in you photography , most shooters are willing to help with great enthusiasm ,

real shooter are like that

cheers from nyc

• Like Like x 1