E-PL1, 45mm f/1.8, and some Camaros..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by littleMT, Jun 30, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    As I learn to shoot, I find I tend to struggle with the 45mm, the E-PL1 misses focus, or maybe its me, I got alot of blurry shots...

I will keep trying to perfect a technique for this lens... here are some images shot earlier today, with the 45mm...

• Like Like x 5
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Great set of pictures!
  3. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Great set. With my EPL1, I almost always use AF-MF mode. I half press, turn the focus so it zooms, and check focus. My keepers have went up exponentially since doing so. I'm a big time amateur, you may not want to heed my advice :)
  4. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Nr4 would have been very nice without the people in it, but looks good now also :)

Strange if you struggle, i fint the 45 fokusing really good on both my GH1 and GF2.
    Maybe you should make the fokusarea smaller?
  5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I do this also, and it tends to focus where I don't want it to focus.

And sometimes the image seems to look ok on the E-PL1's kinda crappy lcd screen, only to discover on the laptop its blurry and/or soft.

I also found out, you can only be so close to a subject, as if you are too close, the lens will hunt, and then focus on something in the background.

but this is part of the fun, learning each and every lenses strengths and weaknesses, as well as the same for the E-PL1, and also learning about my weaknesses so I can improve.... cause alot of my issues are operator error..
  6. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Great set of pics and Camaros!
  7. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Excellents shoots an muscle car.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    You're off to a good start with some of the angles that you have chosen. The 3/4 view, such as in several of the images, is one of the very best to showcase the muscular lines of this type of automobile.

Try using a circular polarizer to eliminate the reflections. Nothing makes an automobile stand out better than the polished look; however, the stray light that invades the lines of the car body can be distracting.

If ambient lighting permits use 4.0 to 5.6 aperture to increase DOF.

Place your lens height above the horizon at about halfway up the height of the windshield.
  9. tamim

tamim Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I bought the E-PL1 couple weeks back and am also having a bit of focus problems myself as well. The photos looked great on the camera screen but when I get to see the actual photo later a lot of it turned out blurry. I've been using the magnify button to focus when using the legacy lenses. Any other tips/settings that I should look at to get better at focusing ?
  10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I don't know, I am trying to learn, but have had that happen, images look ok on the screen, get them on the laptop, and bam.... misfocused..

I i do center point single focus.... and since most of my subjects are stationary I shoot multiple images so I can choose the best one for post processing. I tend to use a tripod, and also a little gorilla pod, and I try and shoot with a faster shutter speed depending on lighting conditions.

Now my focusing issues tend to be with the 45mm and not my other lenses..

for whatever reason.....