E-PL1 14-42mm lens need lens hood?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by keikei07, Jun 18, 2010.

1. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
  2. weight on this lens

I'd be careful about putting any weight on this lens. I bought a small lens hood, but took it off immediately. The poor lens was groaning under the weight of the (very very light) hood, and I was afraid I'd damage it.

In fact, sometimes I fear the teensy little uv filter may be slowing down the autofocus and shortening the lens' life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

thanks for your advance, arpoader.

just find this online, the Olympus LH-61C Lens Hood, will this fit for the m4/3 lens?

4. I wouldn't think so.

This hood is designed for the 14-42 kit lens that comes with the bigger four-thirds cameras, the ones with old 20th-Century style mirrors and pentaprisms. (Sorry, I had to get that jab in.)

The big lens has a 58mm filter thread, for example, instead of the 40.5mm filter thread in the ยต4/3 lens.

My guess is that you could drop the E-PL1 lens and about half of the camera itself through the bigger hood. (OK, I'm exaggerating again.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I really don't see the need for a lens hood, but perhaps I am missing something. I agree with you arpoador that this lens would not be able to handle a hood of any size. Sometimes the polarizer filter can be too much for it...but only because of the need to turn it. I never had a problem with a UV filter.

6. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I was initially obsessed with the idea of outfitting the lens with filters and a hood. I bought a ND filter and a nice CP filter, which I quickly found provided no noticeable effect. I haven't needed the ND filter as yet either. As for a hood I've shot extensively outdoors in bright sunlight now for a few months and have YET to run into flare issues. So the idea of a hood is officially dead with me on that lens. However I fully intend to order a hood for the 14-150 as soon as I get my hot little hands on it in July I suspect. otherwise I don't bother with hoods thus far.