E-PL1 14-42mm lens need lens hood?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by keikei07, Jun 18, 2010.

1. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
  2. weight on this lens

I'd be careful about putting any weight on this lens. I bought a small lens hood, but took it off immediately. The poor lens was groaning under the weight of the (very very light) hood, and I was afraid I'd damage it.

In fact, sometimes I fear the teensy little uv filter may be slowing down the autofocus and shortening the lens' life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

thanks for your advance, arpoader.

just find this online, the Olympus LH-61C Lens Hood, will this fit for the m4/3 lens?

4. I wouldn't think so.

This hood is designed for the 14-42 kit lens that comes with the bigger four-thirds cameras, the ones with old 20th-Century style mirrors and pentaprisms. (Sorry, I had to get that jab in.)

The big lens has a 58mm filter thread, for example, instead of the 40.5mm filter thread in the ยต4/3 lens.

My guess is that you could drop the E-PL1 lens and about half of the camera itself through the bigger hood. (OK, I'm exaggerating again.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I really don't see the need for a lens hood, but perhaps I am missing something. I agree with you arpoador that this lens would not be able to handle a hood of any size. Sometimes the polarizer filter can be too much for it...but only because of the need to turn it. I never had a problem with a UV filter.

6. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I was initially obsessed with the idea of outfitting the lens with filters and a hood. I bought a ND filter and a nice CP filter, which I quickly found provided no noticeable effect. I haven't needed the ND filter as yet either. As for a hood I've shot extensively outdoors in bright sunlight now for a few months and have YET to run into flare issues. So the idea of a hood is officially dead with me on that lens. However I fully intend to order a hood for the 14-150 as soon as I get my hot little hands on it in July I suspect. otherwise I don't bother with hoods thus far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.