E-PL1 14-42mm close focus

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thought I'd see for myself what the close focus abilities of the Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm kit lens is.

Some memory cards are sitting on my desk and so my subject matter is very informal and hastily done. Exposure is f5.6 @ 1/15'th 2000 ISO.

Close focus distance from lens to subject is around the same roughly 4 inches when shooting either long 42mm setting or wide 14mm setting. AF was used. Even though the Green in-focus light displayed at closer distances, I only went as close as when I could still hear the focus confirm "beep". These are full frame images.

@ 42mm (about 2 1/4" wide subject)
12759167429034_CF-tele.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@ 14mm (about 7" wide subject)
12759168705277_CF-wide.jpg

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I personally love the close focus ability of the lens, but I have found that when taking pictures of flowers, for example, the camera can have a hard time getting focus lock if there is little contrast on the flower, or subject in general. I find myself using MF a good bit when doing macro's with this lens. Then again, I'm calling them macro's, and according to the other thread, I might be incorrect:doh:.

Jim

Mu-43 Rookie
Wow, Brian that is a lovely picture. I am actually pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to take close up pictures with this lens. :smile:

E-P1 14-42mm - Unfortunately not sharp enough, but still nice.
4675678191_36a2378a50_b.jpg

E-P1 14-42mm
4676301552_2fd1cbddda_b.jpg

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Jeez Brian you're brave. You wouldn't catch me getting that close to a bee. I prefer to have a 200-300mm lens for stuff like that. :tongue:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom