E-PL Shutter Priority Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jemski, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    Hello Everyone. I just recently bought an E-Pl2. I have tried to freeze waterfalls and waves on the ocean using Shutter Priority. however, I have been unsuccessful as my images are always overexposed, and I noticed that my aperture is fixed at f22. I tried using shutter speeds from 1sec to 10 secs.

Is there anyway I can accomplish this?Is a filter necessary? I previously owned an entry-level SLR and I was able to 'freeze' the waterfall using the Shutter Priority option.

Thanks and have a great day!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Make sure your ISO is as low as it can go and your aperture as small as it can go (which you've done), and if that still overexposes your images then yes you need an Neutral Density filter to darken the scene further.

You really don't need a full 1 second exposure to shoot waterfalls though... You can go a lot slower than that, and still get a milky flow.

3. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    Hi Ned. Thanks for the response.I forgot to add that my ISO is at 200 (which is the lowest for E-PL2). You are probably right. I might need an ND filter for my lens. Because I just really get a mostly white image(overexposed) especially when I have exposure slower than 5 seconds.

Hope to hear more tips :)

4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    or conversely, if you want to see the best your current setup can do, put it on aperture priority, then set it to f22... at least it'll get the exposure right then and it'll do the best it can for the shutter speed.