E-PL 2 came today.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jeff Bennett, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Excuse the iPhone pic. :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    oO... you need to buy another m4/3 to take pictures of the 1st. :biggrin:

Congrats on the new camera! Look forward to seeing your images.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've got a red one on the way and wow, it is red. I thought it would be a tad bit darker.

4. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    I think it's my picture. It's more metallic than that.

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No point in buying another Oly, that won't rotate the picture either.... :biggrin:

Good choice though (apart from the colour! :eek: ) - has to the best bargain around at the moment.....

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Too true!

But wait, there are great deals on Oly E-P2s right now with the miracle image rotation feature.

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    ...it's just so pointless not putting image rotation in any camera.... very annoying in use, actually. It bothers me more than I thought it would....

8. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    so...the red one comes with this model, doesn't it..

[​IMG]

9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Aoi Miyazaki.... :cloud-9-039:

10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Suddenly, feel compelled to paint my E-P3 red with sparkles.

11. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Nice camera! I remember a couple of weeks ago when I got my white one that I was shaking a little when it arrived. A little intimidated with my first decent camera and what to do with it and all those functions etc :biggrin: I still don't know what f stop really means but I'm getting around to it!

12. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Just ask on here, we'll happily answer all your questions, no matter how silly you may think they are..... we've all had to start at some point.... :smile:

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not me, I was born pro! :D

14. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Why did the picture do that? The original file is the correct orientation.
    I like the red. :mad:

15. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    ...and Olympus running through your veins.... how could you forget to mention that.... tut, tut.... :wink:

16. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks DekHog! The one thing I have not figured out yet is a setting that can take advantage of an inside room shot without being too dark, yet at the same time showing the views of the outside through the windows. Any suggestions for my e-pl2 for starter settings?

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    You don't want much to start, do you? lol Only kidding.... this is one of the most difficult things for your camera to do - dynamic range; the range from the brightest to darkest tones in your image. Quite simply your camera isn't capable of capturing the full range of tones and all the detail between indoors (relatively dark) and outdoors (really bright, especially in comparison to indoors).

Your options are twofold - bracket exposures; one for the scene inside, and a different one for the scene outside and then blend them using layers in an image editing program like Photoshop or Elements. Your other option is HDR. Still based on multiple exposures, but a program like Photomatix is used to blend them rather than do it manually using layers - the HDR route can give a very cartoonish look if you push it too far; but with practice and a bit of restraint can be hugely effective.

A tripod or some way of keeping the camera steady is recommended for either of the above.... the multiple images need to match exactly.

Time to go Google exposure blending and HDR, or I'd be here all night... :biggrin:

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was born with two glass eyes - both Zuiko. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    lol, I might as well come out with the big punches right away! I always thought this would be a challenge for a camera. Ok, will do my homework now with all your suggestions. Gives me a great base to start with, thanks again very much.

20. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis