E-P7 Leaked

davidzvi

Real Name
David
3 questions:
  1. EVF? Can't really lett but almost looks like it might have a popup flash or EVF.
  2. Sealed?
  3. Phase AF?
Edit: Without all 3 I see no reason to replace my Pen F. If it has all 3 could it replace my Pen F AND E-M1.2?

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
It would have been a killer if it had an EVF (hint: replace the pop-up flash with a pop-up EVF and it will sell like pancakes). Looks nice though but my days of buying cameras without EVFs are done.

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
I think zero chance to have an EVF. The E-P line never had native EVFs, only optional external EVs connected to the hotshoe port (would be great to see this option again).

And the body is clearly a E-PL with two control dials and some more custom buttons. Looks like they merged the E-PL / E-P / probably the Pen-F lines and this will be the bottom line model (like Fuji dumbed down the X-E4 to replace the X-A / X-E / X-Txxx lines).

If this have PDAF AF (even with the current 20mp sensor) and a 5-axis IBIS, could be an interesting option, even without EVF - great vlogger / lifestyle camera.

But it looks like a Olympus project (not JIP) that was already in development - and I bet it have E-PLish internals: CDAF AF, 3-axis IBIS, dumbed down menus.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree with @MarcioK , looks more E-PLish to me. And I'm kind of glad. I was concerned it would be a proper successor to the E-P5 and would tempt me to jump fully back in to the pool [again]. But who knows what, if anything, it actually is at this point though, so wait and see.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I agree that it almost certainly will not have an EVF. The Pen-F was always the oddity in the "pen-type" cameras in that it had one. Some earlier ones had ones you could attach, but unless I'm mistaken, you cannot do that with the latest models. Well, forget this!

Mu-43 Legend
Better AF and assuming 20MP sensor at this point. If they can keep 300+ shots per charge, and if it's small enough and NOT $800+ it's very, very interesting. I have a larger body with an EVF, so this one is fine LCD only. Throw my O17 on it, and very nice :)

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Better AF and assuming 20MP sensor at this point. If they can keep 300+ shots per charge, and if it's small enough and NOT $800+ it's very, very interesting. I have a larger body with an EVF, so this one is fine LCD only. Throw my O17 on it, and very nice :)
Actually, now that I read your post, I think you are right. It might be useful given all those aspects.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't think this would be called "E-P7" if internally it is more E-PL series. Not only would it be extremely misleading, but to rebrand E-P series to lower end would also go against the recent trend in the industry, including recent Olympus offerings and what is suggested on the lens road map, of targeting higher-end users.

If there is no more E-PL, maybe that means there will be Pen F2, and it will be E-P series and Pen F series going forward. A Pen F2 with silent mechanical shutter and tilting LCD, alongside new versions of 25mm F1.8 and 45mm F1.8 with MF clutch, might be very appealing to street photographers. I've said before, sports/wildlife photography is one of the main inherent strengths of m4/3 that Olympus waited too long to capitalize on, and street photography is arguably another as well.

Real Name
Andrew L
If it's actually true, then I don't think we'll like it as much, because that downward-folding LCD speaks to a somewhat dumbed-down model over the previous EP models. It looks like it's either reworked to be low-end, or for vloggers. I hope I'm wrong and it's a powerful full-featured model.

PhotoDmiK

Mu-43 Regular
e-p5 was a copy of e-m5 without evf in pen body.
e-pl7 was a copy of e-m10 without evf in pen body.

My bet is e-p7 should be something close to e-m5 mk3 in pen body.

Latest threads

Top Bottom