E-P7 Leaked

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Seems people were expecting way too much from this camera. It's not called Pen F II, so why expect it to be a Pen F II? Pen F already has the latest sensor, so what major improvement could Pen F II even offer, especially before a new iteration of the flagship E-M1X series?

I think people just expecting too much from new cameras in general. I think that time is over, and it has been over for a while now. Like, my E-M1 II is a 5 year old model, and I can't imagine replacing it just because of better technology. I'll probably be using until it breaks, maybe the rest of my life.
Doady, while the Pen F has a 20 MPx sensor, it is different from the ones in the newer cameras.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Isn’t it likely this is the same as the penF?
From what I have seen this new Pen is essentially an E-M10.4 with he EVF ripped off and in a Pen shaped body. So it likely shares the same sensor as the 10.4. Does the 10.4 use the same sensor as the Pen F?

This is another complaint from me about Oly falling behind. They released the first camera with PDAF in 2013. Why 8 years later do not all new models have some level of PDAF at this point? You think of other technologies they released many years ago like image stabilization that they relatively quickly started to roll out in all their models. But the lack of PDAF across all lines after 2020 is another mistake in my opinion.

Real Name
Cata
Robin Wong mentions that in its EM10iv review, IIRC. The EM10iv and Pen F shares the same 20.3 MP sensor with no PDAF while EM1.3 and EM5.3 have the same 20.4 MP sensor with both CDAF and PDAF.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Doady, while the Pen F has a 20 MPx sensor, it is different from the ones in the newer cameras.

As far as I'm aware, the Pen-F sensor is the same Sony unit as the E-M10IV and likely the E-P7, but not the same unit as the E-M1's and E-M5III

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I think people unwilling to accept that fact is what's been really driving the current obsession with full frame. But what next? Medium format? Large format? It has to stop somewhere.
Usually it stops on Leica, the "Rolex" of all brand camera

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
From what I have seen this new Pen is essentially an E-M10.4 with he EVF ripped off and in a Pen shaped body. So it likely shares the same sensor as the 10.4. Does the 10.4 use the same sensor as the Pen F?

This is another complaint from me about Oly falling behind. They released the first camera with PDAF in 2013. Why 8 years later do not all new models have some level of PDAF at this point? You think of other technologies they released many years ago like image stabilization that they relatively quickly started to roll out in all their models. But the lack of PDAF across all lines after 2020 is another mistake in my opinion.

Somehow, Olympus feels it's a trade-off Pen users seem be willing to take.

Looking at photo sharing sites, it doesn't look like Pen users are all that hard-done-by using CDAF. We're moving to computational AF in most cameras now anyway. Processors continue to get faster.

Some folks crave the McLaren, some crave the Skoda.

The only reason why I don't own the Pen is ergonomics. I like the larger affixed grip of the E-M1 series, kinda like how I have the little grip thing (not the motor drive) addon on my old OM-4.

Real Name
Phill
Seems people were expecting way too much from this camera. It's not called Pen F II, so why expect it to be a Pen F II? Pen F already has the latest sensor, so what major improvement could Pen F II even offer, especially before a new iteration of the flagship E-M1X series?
There are quite a few things about the Pen-F which can be really improved, but that's just my opinion as a person who has been shooting mostly the Pen-F exclusively since over five years now. First of the eye-/proximity-sensor on the back, which can be fooled by bright (sun)light if you are a right eye shooter like myself - it essentially gets useless in such a way I disabled it completely on both of my Fs.
Next up, while I don't think it is slow per se, I think the camera could've benefitted from the much faster Truepic VIII processing unit, as I think the previous VII generation isn't really up to the task in handling the ~25% increase of MP on the sensor. Especially when it comes to processing it seems to be slower than my E-M1 with the same Truepic VII but the 16 MP sensor.

Last but not least of course is the AF, while I think single AF in decent light is fast and accurate, C-AF is pretty unreliable and the S-AF starts struggling as soon as the light gets dimmer, from what I've heard, even the E-M10 Mark IV has an improved low-light AF over the Pen-F.

Mine not. Only the price is. I think i will buy a second and an used Pen F instead for backup camera
That's what I did almost a year ago. With everything said above, I still absolutely love this camera and with the chances being slim a true successor will appear, I got another Pen-F for backup. Now seeing the E-P7, which actually brings quite some Pen-F stuff to the actual, digital PEN line, I fear that's the best we'll get for a new iteration of the Pen-F.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
There are quite a few things about the Pen-F which can be really improved, but that's just my opinion as a person who has been shooting mostly the Pen-F exclusively since over five years now. First of the eye-/proximity-sensor on the back, which can be fooled by bright (sun)light if you are a right eye shooter like myself - it essentially gets useless in such a way I disabled it completely on both of my Fs.
Next up, while I don't think it is slow per se, I think the camera could've benefitted from the much faster Truepic VIII processing unit, as I think the previous VII generation isn't really up to the task in handling the ~25% increase of MP on the sensor. Especially when it comes to processing it seems to be slower than my E-M1 with the same Truepic VII but the 16 MP sensor.
I had a Pen-F but let it go a year or so ago. I agree with all you've said, and I'd add a few extra, starting with its slow e-shutter readout time, the fitting of a swivel and not a flip screen (way better for street photography which is surely a genre this camera should excel at), the placing of the jpeg knob (gets in the way of the second finger), the lack of customisation of the jpeg knob & the rocker lever, and the lack of an easy way to transfer and share jpeg presets. Having said all that - I regret selling it :(

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom