E-P7 Leaked

Real Name
Walter
Full specs are out now. Based on previous Japan price leak it should be priced about $50 less than E-M10iv. Based on the specs it is basically a E-M10iv with exact same sensor and features but no EVF. Nothing earth shattering but at only $50 more than the release price of the E-PL10 it should be a nice upgrade to the E-PL line and suggests we will not see an E-PL11.

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-p7-press-text/

View attachment 892105
View attachment 892106

View attachment 892107

I like that the controls are more like an OMD than a PL. Did not like the controls on the PL or PM series. I also didn't like not having a built-in EVF, which this doesn't have either. So, that's a deal killer for me. But, it also indicates to me that a PEN-F II as many had desired is NOT in the cards. This is it, folks.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I like the feature set, only splash seals missing - and it's small enough to hide in a shower anyway. Of all the small cameras it's the best featured, definitely above the gx850 and other pen bodies other than the F. New price isn't in my budget but it's a good option to have; the P5 was very close but so much has improved since then. Even Live Composite was introduced after the P-5!

p.s. evf workaround: I can make one for ..under $100!! 🤑
shade.JPG

Last edited:

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Just out of curiosity - does a Pen-F allow streaming through USB directly like a WebCam? That seems to be a very intriguing feature. I know my E-M1.2 doesn't...

The E-M1.2 does support USB streaming with any app supported by the Olympus Webcam utility. All the E-M1's and the E-M5II support that (I don't know about the Pen-F).

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
It definitely slots in beneath a Pen-F, but I'm going to adopt the theory that a Pen-F successor might still come, and even might be the "wow" release later this year, because the EM1 III and EM5 III both seem too new for a replacement. This Pen slots in kind of nicely beneath the top tier.

greensteves

New to Mu-43
It definitely slots in beneath a Pen-F, but I'm going to adopt the theory that a Pen-F successor might still come, and even might be the "wow" release later this year, because the EM1 III and EM5 III both seem too new for a replacement. This Pen slots in kind of nicely beneath the top tier.
Most likely the "wow" announcement will be the EM1X II. It is due for replacement. Hopefully many of the wow functions will make it down to other models without too long of a wait.

The E-M1.2 does support USB streaming with any app supported by the Olympus Webcam utility. All the E-M1's and the E-M5II support that (I don't know about the Pen-F).
Hmmm, by Olympus Webcam utility do you mean the new Webcam drivers for Mac/Windows? The only (relevant) app I'm aware of with the phone is OI Share, and I don't know any way to take the live view from that and use it with another app. Would love to do so!

I did actually find out last night that the capture dongle I have is specifically not compatible with my Android device, so I'm going to look at another, but if there's a direct way that's awesome...

Most likely the "wow" announcement will be the EM1X II. It is due for replacement. Hopefully many of the wow functions will make it down to other models without too long of a wait.
To be honest, I really hope not. I really, really hope not. Not because I don't think the 1X can use a refresh, just that OM systems needs a game changer, and a refresh just isn't going to cut it, especially for the highest end camera.

For the longest time, I was a Windows Phone user. And I took great pride in having the best in class phone camera, an awesome user interface with Live Tiles that are just ridiculous, high end. But the app gap ultimately lost them the war. I hope Olympus doesn't follow suit - we have awesome cameras. The quality compared to size/weight is ridiculous.

Objectively awesome cameras. But Olympus was losing the war, and OM Systems is giving us another chance. They're not going to win it with refreshes... The gamechanger really needs to be something really different...

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
An extra dial to call it a Pen Pro is a bit optimistic I think, specially when you can’t use an EVF on it and max shutter speed drops back to 1/4000th. The design in my mind leaves room for a Pen Fii, but happy to see the Pen line lives on!

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Hmmm, by Olympus Webcam utility do you mean the new Webcam drivers for Mac/Windows? The only (relevant) app I'm aware of with the phone is OI Share, and I don't know any way to take the live view from that and use it with another app. Would love to do so!

I did actually find out last night that the capture dongle I have is specifically not compatible with my Android device, so I'm going to look at another, but if there's a direct way that's awesome...

Yes, the drivers. That's necessary for any m43 camera except the GH5II (which can do RTMP over wifi)

The only way to go wired to a mobile device for streaming is a capture dongle.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm a little disappointed with this release to be honest, nothing particularly exciting or innovative with the ep7 (besides a nice looking camera). I was hoping with the first new release from OMD solutions they would have something exciting to shake things up a bit, but I guess I had my expectations set too high. Still waiting for a smallish m43 form factor camera that has phase detection AF and does decent caf tracking. If the next 'ground breaking' release is the em1x mk2, I'm guessing it will be a while before we see something like that...

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm a little disappointed with this release to be honest, nothing particularly exciting or innovative with the ep7 (besides a nice looking camera). I was hoping with the first new release from OMD solutions they would have something exciting to shake things up a bit, but I guess I had my expectations set too high. Still waiting for a smallish m43 form factor camera that has phase detection AF and does decent caf tracking. If the next 'ground breaking' release is the em1x mk2, I'm guessing it will be a while before we see something like that...

Other than the E-M5III?

That's not much larger than the E-P7, only bigger in the EVF hump and LCD screen hinge for all intents.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
It's a complete rehash. Nothing new, except a merge of styling. A little sad. Also, not released in my market so currently irrelevant to me. Oh well.

Real Name
Phill
To be honest, I never expected anything new or groundbreaking in an entry level camera, at least not in terms of hardware. Maybe better integration with smartphones on the software side of things, some sort of live streaming and things like that. But that doesn't seem to be the case either. I am also somewhat disappointed by the older Micro-USB connector, sure it's still great you can charge the battery inside the body, but I mean it's mid 2021, a USB-C connector should be standard as of today, even most entry level phones come equiped with one.

Also the price:
The E-P7 sells for EUR 899 as a kit with the 12-42mm EZ lens. The E-M10 Mark IV sells for EUR 849 with the same lens and is currently on sale for EUR 799. Comparing body only prices is even more obvious: 799 for the new Pen, 689 for the latest E-M10. Unless somebody really want the smaller and compact body or is attracted by the design and JPEG options, I personally see little reason buying this over the E-M10 Mark IV.

greensteves

New to Mu-43
To be honest, I really hope not. I really, really hope not. Not because I don't think the 1X can use a refresh, just that OM systems needs a game changer, and a refresh just isn't going to cut it, especially for the highest end camera.

For the longest time, I was a Windows Phone user. And I took great pride in having the best in class phone camera, an awesome user interface with Live Tiles that are just ridiculous, high end. But the app gap ultimately lost them the war. I hope Olympus doesn't follow suit - we have awesome cameras. The quality compared to size/weight is ridiculous.

Objectively awesome cameras. But Olympus was losing the war, and OM Systems is giving us another chance. They're not going to win it with refreshes... The gamechanger really needs to be something really different...
I hope you're right, as E-M1X size is not my personal preference. Maybe they'll release two new models, to appeal to a wider range of customers.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I love Oly gear, I really do ... but this is a really underwhelming camera. I know that it's built for a market etc, but let's be honest, it's really not a lot different from the E-P5 of 2013. Uprated sensor and a few bells and whistles - but OTOH there's no option for an EVF which is a real step back. Releasing an ILC camera at this price point in 2021 without PDAF or EVF kills it for more serious photographers, esp when you can buy 1" compacts with those features and a faster lens for less. So, it's targeted at the advanced selfie crowd - but it's got the same old lame Bluetooth and OI.Share app to "help" you upload your snaps to Instagram. It seems that despite the OMDS change, nothing's changed at all. It feels like 2013 all over again!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom