E-P5 Wood Grip By J.B. Camera Designs

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Were you after a baseplate, or a full grip with hand grip? I guess the other question is, are you after a small(ish), easy to carry camera, or a pseudo OMD?
Weirdly, the PM2 - which is even smaller - is actually more comfortable for me to use, and I can hold it comfortably in a couple of other ways than the E-P5 :D. The E-P5 is just slightly too thick and a little too heavy to feel entirely comfortable supporting it with one thumb/finger.

But yeah, if the E-P5 was about ~1cm taller, and had an extra ~1-2cm further protrusion on the front face grip, it would be ideal. And maybe a slightly larger thumb grip at the back.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I am struck by how comfortable the prominent metal edges don't look :D
I can't be certain to whom this comment was directed, but I'm going to assume you may have been commenting on my DIY grip. First of all, there weren't too many after market grips around when I made this one & I designed it for my own needs. The metal edges weren't sharp & neither are they handled. It served me well except it was awkward using a grip strap. Not only had I included the battery access, but also a centred tripod mount point, a grip strap loop, a sling strap eye & the grip had an under padding of cork covered with leather. I still have it if I want to go light with direct battery access.

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
I suspect that if you're prepared to attach that mini-broom handle and holder onto your camera, you're probably comfortable to walk around with a onesie while doing so. ;)
Lol! That's harsh, Ray. I was bitterly disappointed that Olympus abandoned the add-on grip that was so popular for the ep3, and even contacted JB to encourage them to offer a 3rd party grip. Other than the garish appearance, I wonder if the broomstick improves handling to the degree that the ep3 large grip did. If so, weird as it is, I might consider it.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I can't be certain to whom this comment was directed, but I'm going to assume you may have been commenting on my DIY grip. First of all, there weren't too many after market grips around when I made this one & I designed it for my own needs. The metal edges weren't sharp & neither are they handled. It served me well except it was awkward using a grip strap. Not only had I included the battery access, but also a centred tripod mount point, a grip strap loop, a sling strap eye & the grip had an under padding of cork covered with leather. I still have it if I want to go light with direct battery access.
Sorry, I didn't mean to knock it - I mean it's fine and works well, just, I was more directing the comment at the guy saying "look at the DIY ones for something more comfortable". I dunno if that's necessarily the case :D

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry, I didn't mean to knock it - I mean it's fine and works well, just, I was more directing the comment at the guy saying "look at the DIY ones for something more comfortable". I dunno if that's necessarily the case :D
Well, if you were directing it to me then I was talking about some other DIY grips, and they don't even include any metals and made out of resin or silicone.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lol! That's harsh, Ray. I was bitterly disappointed that Olympus abandoned the add-on grip that was so popular for the ep3, and even contacted JB to encourage them to offer a 3rd party grip. Other than the garish appearance, I wonder if the broomstick improves handling to the degree that the ep3 large grip did. If so, weird as it is, I might consider it.
I'm with you on this Frank. Doesn't seem like anyone took the plunge on JBs wooden grip though. I really liked the plastic version for the e-m5. Not sure why he went all woody on us. I don't like the aesthetics much, but can't see the point in whining like a small child about it either.

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
I'm with you on this Frank. Doesn't seem like anyone took the plunge on JBs wooden grip though. I really liked the plastic version for the e-m5. Not sure why he went all woody on us. I don't like the aesthetics much, but can't see the point in whining like a small child about it either.
I'm hoping someone will. I'm not convinced the position of the broomstick is ergonomically correct. I'd think it should be closer to the barrel of the lens.

Olympus offers a terrific grip for the em10. I wonder why they don't offer ep5 owners the same convenience.

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
Luke that actually illustrates the real point : your Pentax wood grip is indented, curved and capped properly ... it is very much NOT a broomhandle.
But the Pentax grip is designed to hold a heavy camera with the entire hand. The JB grip is for the finger tips, to provide stability for a very light camera. I think I may give it a try.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
But the Pentax grip is designed to hold a heavy camera with the entire hand. The JB grip is for the finger tips, to provide stability for a very light camera. I think I may give it a try.
Let us know how the 'broomstick' on a 'wooden shelf' performs for you then. :smile:

My concern is the unfortunate property with wood/timber is that it can crack & the plate (shelf) might crack at the wrong time with a heavy lens on it because of the leverage from the 'broomstick'. I don't know how strong the Peruvian Walnut timber is that he is using, but with all timbers there are some widely varying properties. I would feel more comfortable if there was an inset metal plate in the base of the 'shelf' that the 'broomstick' attached to via the internal rod, but it only has a cap of that rod system, with the cut-out for the battery access adding to that weakness. That's just my thoughts on it anyhow.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
IIRC somewhere in the millions of pages I was googling there was a video where he mentions a customer dropping one of the base-plate only grips/cameras from a height and the grip still held up (and the camera still worked). Don't they make stocks for AK-47s out of walnut? :D

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Lots of tools have timber handles and hardware stores are always full of replacements. Many new tools have fibreglass handles because they generally don't break. That said, I prefer my hickory axe handles.:)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
IIRC somewhere in the millions of pages I was googling there was a video where he mentions a customer dropping one of the base-plate only grips/cameras from a height and the grip still held up (and the camera still worked). Don't they make stocks for AK-47s out of walnut? :D
Lots of tools have timber handles and hardware stores are always full of replacements. Many new tools have fibreglass handles because they generally don't break. That said, I prefer my hickory axe handles.:)
Wooden handles are great & I love working with timber seeing my work is repairing (& making) violins. It's just that bit of base plate that the 'broomstick' is bolted to that is vulnerable where it could crack along the grain & although I know violin bows use a lot of tension at the head across the grain, it only takes one bump when under tension & it breaks through (along the grain in the head). They can be repaired in most cases (with added spline), but it isn't carrying a valuable camera & lens, just some horse hair attached to it.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm astonished at how much turmoil this simple posting of an Amazon link to give Amin some revenue for this website has caused. Come on people, get a grip. (pun intended...)

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm astonished at how much turmoil this simple posting of an Amazon link to give Amin some revenue for this website has caused. Come on people, get a grip. (pun intended...)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10x increase in sales rank since you started it, hopefully Amin sees some of that :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom