E-P5 Wood Grip By J.B. Camera Designs

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I agree..80$ for a bit of wood that is poorly shaped!...any 12yr plus could whittle this up in middle /high school tech....
Not taking anything away from JB...but really.
Plastic one look more in keeping with the cameras and looks ok and serves a purpose...but why would you make the best looking mirrorless(ep5) look like you stuck a cheap toilet roll holder onto it??? beats me
I'm afraid to burst other's bubbles, but I agree. It looks like a camera on a wooden shelf with a leaning post to me. :rolleyes: Not my idea of quality! :hmmm:

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that wooden grip looks like it's been put together by a junior high school woodwork class. But I don't really like his other grips either and his love of Instagram colours is off-putting as well.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
TIL - about the bizarro concern about the looks of something designed to make holding a camera comfortable, which is almost entirely hidden by your hands while in use. Without it, the camera was the ultimate fashion accessory for the rockin' cool dad look, but with this, it is ruined.

Does anyone out there think it looks uncomfortable? No ? :D

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
It just looks stupid and properly designed things don't look stupid.
Want comfort? There are couple threads here about DIY grips for EP5 that look better and cost under $20.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It just looks stupid and properly designed things don't look stupid.
Want comfort? There are couple threads here about DIY grips for EP5 that look better and cost under $20.
I agree on both points. I've had a look at the site several times now to see if I'm being overly judgemental on the design and the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that it's a flawed design and a pointless exercise. The fact that the wood doesn't even conform with the size of the camera base indicates that it isn't the ideal material. And when I looked at the Sony attachment, I just shook my head. But, each unto their own.

darosk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Daros
I still like it. The wooden dowel/paper towel holder look really appeals to me :smile:

But no ****ing way am I paying $80 for that. I'll probably DIY my own version.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I still like it. The wooden dowel/paper towel holder look really appeals to me :smile:

But no ****ing way am I paying $80 for that. I'll probably DIY my own version.
I did my own for the E-M5 (before I bought the HLD-6)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These photos are linked to the gallery album where there are more photos, plus progress photos. I needed to have a grip with that lens.

letsgofishing

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Kaplan
I got this one from Hong Kong for around $50 - and it has a Arca "dovetail" that fits my tripod perfectly so I don't have to worry about loosing the tripod mounting plate. It's really well made and the battery compartment and cad slot can be accessed.

scott2hot

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
scott
:biggrin::2thumbs:

Although I am guilty of worse endeavours myself!
Nothing wrong with that..adapting something yourself is fine...but trying to get suckers to buy one is another...hell i once made a rifle style but for my slr and at moment trying to cobble an E M10 grip out of bits of plastic!!...nearly there...i might post pic for a laugh.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got this one from Hong Kong for around $50 - and it has a Arca "dovetail" that fits my tripod perfectly so I don't have to worry about loosing the tripod mounting plate. It's really well made and the battery compartment and cad slot can be accessed.
Yeah I looked into a couple of these and it seems like the M5 ones just won't fit on the P5 due to the different front face proportions of the cameras. Searching for something similar for the P5 is basically a collection of cricket noises and tumbleweeds.

Maybe JB should have designed a pink one with my little pony stickers on it like I mentioned earlier - for all the hater comments he gets I'm sure out of every bump someone makes to say it's like totally soooo ugly omg, he sells another one or two of these :D

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I admit that I'm an old fart and maybe misunderstand the language, but I don't 'hate' what JB does, I just think he really doesn't have an eye for style and good design. He can produce functional products, but they lack finesse and especially cohesion with the products that they are designed to be used with. That is not good.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
*shrug* I looked through the amazon reviews for at least some of his gear and the vast majority of people seem to like 'em, and the occasional low star review has the guy himself popping up offering to fix unhappy customers up with something they'll like more. Other alternative was the UNX-9125 which a few reviews (if google translate can be believed :D) marked down largely for being a collection of thin metal edges in your palm/around your fingers. And no knock on the DIYers but to me the methods of dealing with getting a higher profile on the camera don't ... I mean ... that's not exactly what I have in mind, as far as something I'm going to legitimately use long term goes :D

Still, we'll see what happens when it gets here, maybe it is a big load of crap :D However it is awfully fun to poke at the underlying assumption that the camera was some cool looking thing for picking up chicks to begin with. That's ... again, I mean, I can't even ... bwahaha.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Anyone who has bought his products has clearly already made the decision that it's what they want and being such simple products, they are what they are and hardly likely to get poor reviews. I considered his E-M1 grip and read a few reviews, but on closer examination, the RRS grip was streets ahead in all respects; design, manufacturing, fit and finish. I was buying stuff off this guy when he first started: https://www.hejnarphotostore.com/, and his products are outstanding in design and quality, but the Chinese are now producing the same products, to the same quality, at much cheaper prices. I believe that Hejnar pretty much started from a garage, but never compromised on design.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's good you found something good :D

Which one of these would you recommend for my E-P5?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.585/it.C/.f

:D

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
IIRC when I was googling this there was a) no interest from RRS/no demand from RRS buyers, b) concerns about how a full metal plate covering the front grip (where the wireless transmitter lives) would go for wireless range/stability.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
IIRC when I was googling this there was a) no interest from RRS/no demand from RRS buyers, b) concerns about how a full metal plate covering the front grip (where the wireless transmitter lives) would go for wireless range/stability.
Were you after a baseplate, or a full grip with hand grip? I guess the other question is, are you after a small(ish), easy to carry camera, or a pseudo OMD?

scott2hot

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
scott
I too commend JB for making and trying to improve camera handling...this was original reason i sold my E M5 so quick! i wasnt prepared to pay £200 for better comfort/handling...
I loved the look of my EP5 ..but again handling wasnt too nice for me...so again it had to go..as well as other reason.
I own E m10 now and realised the poor handling is minor point and will live with it ...although i am messing with plastics at mo trying simple hand grip...if not good ..then i might go for 55 quid oly hand grip.
By the way i never purchased a camera to look cool or get the ladies to like me... I use it for what its meant for....but again would anyone buy an aston martin or E type jag and put a balsa wood spoiler on it?
Why should my opinion offend anyone...unless deep down they felt silly for buying one themselves.
Choice is a wonderful option.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I suspect that if you're prepared to attach that mini-broom handle and holder onto your camera, you're probably comfortable to walk around with a onesie while doing so. ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom