1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 Wood Grip By J.B. Camera Designs

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by MajorMagee, Jun 17, 2014.

1. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I really like that. Would be all over it if I owned an E-P5.

2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

There's a new "premium" wood grip for the E-M5 -

5USesMz.

as well as the older molded plastic one -

ooXobzX.

loads for other cameras too -

http://www.jbcameradesigns.com/products/

even ones for cameras that have actual noteworthy grips built in :D

Really wish he made one for my PEN E-PM2 though!

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Well shucks that E-M5 grip is def going on my Christmas list!

4. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Is it april the 1st ???looks like some one glued a mop handle on to camera...Sorry but this is Fugly

• Like Like x 2
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Different strokes for different folks. I think it looks fab!

6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I love my black jb grip. Makes the camera complete IMO

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah I was looking at getting the UN-9125 aluminium one over here -

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=65798&p=659121#post659121

but on reading around some reviews mentioned that it's actually pretty harsh having a narrow cut metal rim in the palm of your hand. Which made me wonder if there was something more agreeable around and then I found the JB ones. Personally I think it could be pink and branded with my little pony logos, if it was comfortable to use I'd grab it :D. I think it ends up looking vaguely steampunkish next to a modern mirrorless camera - like there is a little snus compartment in the handle somewhere :D

8. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    They also do kits to convert your car

Lighten up folks.

• Like Like x 3
  9. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    $80 for that??? Uhh...no thanks...

10. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I have the E-M5 version of that aluminum one and I prefered it over the JB and the stock HLD grips. Of course the E-M5 is different than the E-P5 so the grip might not be as comfortable. It feels higher quality IMHO than either of the other two. The E-M5 version has some a nice textured leather piece that matches the E-M5 and makes it blend in more than the JB grip which looks more "I bolted something on my camera!" more so than the UNX.

PA210011.JPG
    Olympus.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Seems like the decent ones are all pricey - $50-100 seems to be about what you're up for regardless. As a stingy person I had no problems paying for it given that it seems to be generally well regarded and that it's handmade by one guy (and who responds to customers / fixes them up personally if people have issues).

The M5 one looks a lot better than the P5 one ergonomics wise to me. For the P5 one - I dunno, it just seems like they could have shaped it slightly better as far as its contact with the body and the front panel goes (one guy mentioned he was continually jamming his thumb in an edge trying to focus some of the smaller lenses). Still if the wood one doesn't work out I guess I have that as a fallback :D

Did you have the wooden JB one or the plastic one by the way?

12. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I agree..80$ for a bit of wood that is poorly shaped!...any 12yr plus could whittle this up in middle /high school tech....
    Not taking anything away from JB...but really.
    Plastic one look more in keeping with the cameras and looks ok and serves a purpose...but why would you make the best looking mirrorless(ep5) look like you stuck a cheap toilet roll holder onto it??? beats me

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :biggrin:
    :2thumbs:

Although I am guilty of worse endeavours myself!

14. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Wow! It looks like a Christmas three. They'd have to pay me to put that thing on my camera.
    Besides, the whole point of investing in a micro 4/3 system is to keep it small and light.

15. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

It's just over half the weight of the OM-D E-M10 grip according to amazon/b&h.

I personally like that the P5 is small - but it's small to the point where it's actually smaller than my hands (eg I have a pinky finger dangling/getting poked in the webbing by the corner of the camera). Which isn't so good. To hold it around the 'grip' on the face of the camera, I have a space under the curl of my fingers that basically seems to perfectly match up to the size/diameter of the front handle.

Looks wise? I dunno man. Did your wife tell you you looked cool while you had a camera on at all? She lied to you man. This is like arguing whether the look of a hot water bottle ruins the whole style of your home enema kit :D

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think that wood handle looks pretty nice. Sometimes haters just gotta hate.

18. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Really? It annoys you that you paid RRS for their engineering, rather than the guy who just copied what they did? I don't like to waste money, but I'm happy to pay the people I want to develop this and the next product I'll want. I'm glad I bought both the E-M5 and E-M1 grips and L-plates from the creators.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    RRS didn't have a copyright on the concept at all, which has been produced in numerous variants. E-M5 grips were a dime a dozen already, probably based on the Olympus two part design. The RRS design was simply the better looking one available at the time and now the Chinese have caught up and are producing nice designs as well (but not identical to RRS).

If you want to start crying foul, then lets include tripods, ball heads, camera plates etc and how about electronic flash units (which are a topical thread at the moment) as well as wireless flash controllers. Poor Pocket Wizard, Olympus, Panasonic, Arca Swiss etc being diddled out of money because others are producing similar products.

• Like Like x 1