1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 WiFi won't connect to iPhone or iPad!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ccplady, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    Amy
    I'm frustrated with the new toy. I can't seem to get the WiFi to connect to my smartphone or tablet. I've tried reloading the app, hard-booting the phone, and powering down and removing the battery from the camera. The iPhone and iPad read the QR code and the app seems to then open, but regardless of whether I try to use the remote control or transfer pictures, I get an error message saying there isn't a camera available. The camera is showing the WiFi is running, so I'm at a loss.

I tried to call Olympus this morning, but they're closed for the holiday. Figures.

Anyone else havin this problem? I saw a video review on Cnet's site and she mentioned having problems setting up the WiFi too. I sure hope they can just talk me through it!

2. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Once you scanned the QR code and installed the profile, go to your wi-fi settings and choose your ep5 camera network (same name as the profile).

• Like Like x 1
  3. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    Amy
    HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY THAT I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Yippee, it worked!!

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    EDIT: Never mind, I see that Mat fixed the issue for ya. Glad it's working. Wish it worked on my EM-5. :biggrin:

Amy,

Did the camera display the QR code on the back display?

This from Olympus PEN E-P5 Compact System Camera - First Shots :

"Olympus has done something really rather clever, taking advantage of the fact that basically all smartphones and tablets these days include cameras, and that the camera itself already has a large, built-in display. An app available on iOS and Android devices uses the mobile gadget's camera to look for a Quick Response code, a type of two-dimensional barcode. This is shown by the E-P5 on-screen, and you simply aim your phone or tablet camera at the Olympus' display. The QR code is seen, recognized, and the mobile device configures its Wi-Fi to connect to the camera automatically, as instructed by the QR code. All very simple, and it saves on the need for extra radio hardware."

Regards,

Jim

5. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Mat - If you know how long it took me to figure out that simple thing!!! I was cursing my EP5, iPhone 5 and iPad Mini because they would not talk to each other. Don't even know what made me think about checking the wifi settings on the phone.

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    BTW I read somewhere that you can only use your phone as a remote controller of the camera in 'iAuto mode'.

7. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I check the wi-fi settings because I remember I had to do the same with the GH3. But Olympus doesn't really explain this last step...

8. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes it only works in iAuto, I don't know why they put that limitation.

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    can you 'simply' download jpeg from a jpeg + RAw shoot with the wifi on the EP5?

10. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    Amy
    I'm glad I'm not nuts. I, too, don't believe the instructions from Olympus are very clear.

I wish they'd used Bluetooth instead of wifi. The latter requires you to disconnect your device from other networks to utilize the remote. It's still pretty cool though, and will be very handy.

11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    But you can shoot in RAW+JPEG and then you will get the iAuto version in the JPEG and the normal RAW file to do what you like.

12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    From what I have seen, when you use the app to transfer photos (I assume this is what you mean) you only get the JPEG. You can select (I thought it was not possible) whether you want the full size JPEG or a reduced size one. The default is reduced, which makes sense since most people transferring shots to their phone are doing it to email/text/post the shots, and you really don't want the full size version for that.

13. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    There is actually a simple way to connect the camera to your smart device. When you activate the wifi, it gives the QR code but also the network name + password. If you connect to that network like you would to any wifi connection, it works and you can skip the QR code step.

14. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    For what purpose - the QR step is much easier than typing in the network password. Only thing you have to remember is to actually go into the Wifi settings and select the camera network. (I am laughing about it now, but very frustrated till I learned that step.)

15. valtom

valtom New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2013
    I have a similar problem, but neither my iphone nor my ipad mini don't find the camera network. Does it mean something is wrong with the camera's wifi?
    Thanks.

16. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Are you actually turning on the camera's Wifi? You must tap where it says WIFI on the camera's LCD screen to start the process.
    My "problem" was that after I scanned the QR code, I did not know you then had to go into the wifi settings of the iDevice and actually select the camera's wifi network.

17. Rodriguez5000

Rodriguez5000 New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Just bought one and still not able to connect, I'm able to install a wifi connection profile by scanning the QR Code but don't see any Olympus network in my wifi settings.
    I had a connection one or two times by just installing this profile but lost any connection within 20 seconds...
    Who can help me out with this one?
    Had the latest firmware installed hoping that would solve the problem but....

18. andybeals

andybeals New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2013
    Kansas City
    [I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to give closure to folks and leave information for others who may stumble across this topic like I did.]

Even at this late date, connectivity to one's phone is less easy than I would have expected with the WiFi. Connecting in with the QR code is definitely the best way, even if you've paired the phone and camera before.

1. You're not stuck in iAuto mode! Tap the area on your phone's screen where it says "iAuto" in the upper right of the view area and you will see that you can chose from iAuto, P, A, S, M, and Art. I've shot in each of these modes with my phone. [For all I know, perhaps this was a limitation back in 2013, but it definitely isn't now.]
    2. If you want to do a BlueTooth connection to your phone, you can get a PenPal (PP-1) accessory that plugs into the hot shoe/accessory port which will let you send reduced-resolution photos to your phone, suitable for posting to Twitter or FB. (They're going to up the compression levels on your pics anyway, after all.
    Overall, coming from an E-P2 and the E-PL5, I'm pretty impressed with the camera. The smart phone (Android) application from Olympus is not as good as I was expecting, but as the philosopher once said: "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick." In particular, the file transfer time is unacceptably long, given how fast Wi-Fi is. If you're just going to slap the photo on social media (e.g. FaceBook), then using the PP-1 is a faster method, even if you have to send photos one at a time and confirm each transfer on your phone.