1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 WiFi setup

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Jun 18, 2014.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm having trouble setting up the wifi on my E-P5. I have an iPhone (iOS 7.x) running the Olympus Image Share App. At one point the camera generates a QR code on the LCD and I'm supposed to capture that wiht the iPhone. The problem is the iPhone won't focus on the QR code. There's no much I can do since the reader is part of the OIS app and not the phone's camera. Any suggestions?

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    The QR code is likely just going to contain the ip address to your camera's built-in web server, which should also be listed somewhere in your documentation. Is there a manual setup option in the Image Share app?

You might try holding the phone a bit further away from the camera's LCD, maybe you are too close for the phone's camera?

• Like Like x 1
  3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Put wifi on in E-P5 and then go to iPhone wifi settings and connect it to the E-P5 wifi. Not sure if thats enough. The camera of older iPhones is not sharp enough for bar codes. It might be the reason in this case too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I move it back and forth to try to get enough resolution but to no avail. I have an iPhone 4. I'll try to find a manual process.

5. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    The iPhone 4 is plenty sharp enough to do QR code detection unless you have a physical problem with the phone's lens -- fwiw you should be able to find out what's in the QR code if you download one of the free QR code apps like, say, RedLaser.

• Like Like x 1
  6. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I think and believe that scanning the QR code brings only the password to the iPhone, but you don't have to do so. When you put E-P5 wifi on, in shows (among the QR code) SSID and password. Then you have go to the iPhone wifi settings and select that SSID and give that given password. You don't HAVE to scan anything.

My iPad 2 keeps telling me that there is not enough resolution to read bar codes and I figured it might be the same thing with iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Really? Weird; pretty sure I used RedLaser to capture bar and QR codes on as far back as my iPhone 3G, which iirc had a 2MP camera.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The problem is that it won't ask me for the password and I see no place to enter it. It just tells me I can't join the network.

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    It's weird. Can you see your E-P5 network in iPhone?

I just took all the other family iPhones (4 and all iPhone 5's) and tested and they all joined to the E-P5 network. They don't have the Olympus Share app so I couldn't test it further.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yes, I can see the network just fine. I click on it and the phone always ends up telling me it can't join. It's frustrating. Fortunately, this is not a feature I was really interested in, but I thought I would try it in case I had a need someday.

11. BMarkwardt

BMarkwardt New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2014
    I just bought an E-M1 and I'm having this exact issue with my iPhone 4. The bar code scanner that is part of the app is very low resolution and can't focus on the QR code on the camera. I deleted and reloaded the app 3 times and nothing changed. I have tried the phone's camera and the bar code scanner I have installed and both work flawlessly. The bar code on the camera is crystal clear. So I know the issue is the app and not the phone.

I tried to go in and manually input the SSID code and password. I can see the network but the message keeps saying I can't join it. Frustrating.

Just to try it out, I downloaded the app on my crappy Android tablet and it worked. So this appears to be some kine of issue between my phone and the app.

Any ideas?