E-P5 vs. GX7 it came down to

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by uscrx, May 11, 2014.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    :smile:

I was set on E-P5. Have been waiting around for used price to come down to $400 or so. Really hasn't come to it yet. But lately, I have been doing more videos of my kids in recitals etc. 5D MKII does ok but too bulky to carry around and I look silly mounting Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 OS...for these videos.

So I've been using E-PM2. I like it so far. But then I have always heard the anecdotes...that Pany video is better.

So started to look at GX7.

Then I saw this..

Panasonic Battery for $9.99

So I bought 4. Mind you... I don't own GX7, yet.

But now I'll have 4 brand new genuine Panasonic batteries for GX7.

Now I'm kinda committed in buying a GX7.

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I've heard of people buying a lens in anticipation of a camera purchase, but I think this is the first time I've heard of someone buying batteries before the camera. Go for it! I love my GX-7.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Good choice. The Panasonic UI beats the pants off the Olympus UI. They're wonderful to use.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That's the GF3 battery, does GX7 use the same one? If so, WOW!

5. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Yes and no! Although they're the same size the GX7 battery is 7.4v, the GF3 7.2.

But I put a GF3 battery in the GX7 and it turned on, the touchscreen worked to say no to changing the lens focal length and I took a photo.

So they do seem to work, which is handy, but are possibly not ideal.

You can't go wrong with the GX7 anyway.

6. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Those are nominal (max) voltages. The actual voltage varies from moment to moment, though generally, it steadily declines as you run down the battery. However, it will often spike right after you stop using a power-sucking feature (like WiFi+1080p), which is why your camera or phone will sometimes "add a bar" without you recharging. So, yes, the 7.2 will work like a 7.4, though it will have somewhat less capacity. Probably in the area of 10%. However, there is no risk to the camera by using batteries with lower nominal voltages than the model intended.

Even that figure is probably a lot better than 3rd party batteries, which often overstate their capacity by AT LEAST that much, and due to lower QA (since you have to skimp on something to sell for half the OEM price) will often permanently lose capacity rather quickly as the battery ages.

For extra technical info, these are two-cell batteries arranged in parallel inside a single casing. Lithium-ion cells max out at ~3.6v per cell (3.7-3.8v for newer formulas), hence 2x3.6v=7.2v. The battery will shut off when a cell reaches roughly 1.2v (give or take) to prevent over discharge, which can damage the battery. As such, a battery with a lower starting voltage will hit the the lower limit quicker. Hence the lower capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sLindbergh

sLindbergh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    LI, New York
    S. Lindbergh
    :eek: lol right. But whatever compels you to pull the trigger…

8. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

The GX7 is a phenomenal camera. Yes, I own one. It replaced some previous fine and excellent mu4/3 cameras, including an Olympus PL2 (phenomenally nice camera) and the later PL5 (remarkable IQ, but a weirdly small body which always felt too tiny for my hands). The GX7 is one of those cameras which (subjective comment follows) just 'feels right' in my hands - and makes me want to use it.

Which brings us back to the big question - if you're at all on the horns of a GX7 vs E-P5 dilemma - then you really really really should try to get your hands on both....and 'get a feel' for how each feels to you.

Not unlike the concept of actually test-driving a particular car before buying it.

You can always buy without trying first. But odds are you will be somewhere between a million and a billion times more contented....if you go out of your way to find a way to actually try the different cameras out. Both are fine photographic instruments. So it boils down to the 'little things' - and in the overall scheme of things, batteries are a fun but not overly compelling (to me) reason to ultimately make the choice.

Good luck!

9. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    Do you ever use more than 2 battery's? Maybe if you travel a lot, I don't. Should a battery pull the trigger on getting a camera? Maybe, I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I recently bought a refurbished E-P5 on ebay from Olympus, and all I can say what a wonderful compact camera it is. I'm glad I eventually got the E-P5. Before you pull the trigger think what IBIS in lowlight means to you. I have already posted this several times, but the lowlight IBIS comparison by stevehuff made me decide to go with the E-P5's 5AXIS.

lensoisc.

10. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I don't know how OP shoots, but I always carry two batteries. Taking 1000 photos at any event, one battery couldn't last long .

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  11. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    That's more than I shot my last vacation ;). But I should get myself a scond battery as I'm going to shoot a friends wedding, thanks.

12. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own the E-P5 and this past weekend I held a GX7, and by far the GX7 has a better feel to it.. Its all in the grip. I have a GX7 on the way, but I am not selling my E-P5 or my E-M5! Going with a 3 body kit!

13. bokehtime

bokehtime Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    FYI they have 3 different color refurbished EP5 on the Olympus website for $639

• Like Like x 1
  14. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    That's a great deal.

15. markdaunt

markdaunt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    If your looking to do any serious video work then out of these two cameras the GX7 is the only choice.

16. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    +1

Video on the E-P5 and E-M5 looks great with static objects, but when things are moving the codec turns to mush very easily.

17. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Protruding EVFs really bug me because it digs into my body and gets caught my shirts and bag straps. This is the main reason why I dislike DSLR style bodies and why I sold my E-M5. Also a big reason why I won't get a Sony A7. Yes it sounds silly, but when you carry your camera everywhere these little things matter. Oh, and of course 5-axis, and slim profile is another reason why I choose the E-P5.
    mF7VzNd.

18. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thats a good point. Im thinking of taking off the eye cup from my em5. Its annoying when it getting stucked all the time...

19. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I have 3, because there's always at least one I can't find. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Multiple batteries and extra memory cards are must for me. I have run out of battery in early DSLR days. Never again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app