1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P5 vs E-P3 Shootout

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rich9cinti, May 20, 2013.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Hey y'all just found this link. Quite informative for current E-P3 owners/users.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_v0XntcUS0&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Olympus PEN E-P5 Review - EP-5 Vs EP-3 SHOOT-OUT - YouTube[/ame]

One thing I saw most impressive was the stability during video, most likely due to the 5 axis IBIS.

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for posting this video. Very interesting.

I agree that the 5-axis IBIS is very impressive in video mode. I wonder if the focus tracking has been improved over the E-M5. The guy seems to suggest that focus tracking is much better on the E-P5 than the E-P3.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice review, given that he couldn't use RAW. Oddly, it also makes the E-P3 seem like a nice deal at current prices.

4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - I can't get as good a high ISO performance from my E-P3 as this chap seems to be able to manage.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I also had this same thought...at least up until he started looking at the video capabilities with 5-axis IBIS. Up until that point, I didn't see any major differences between the output of the two cameras. Yes, the E-P5 is definitely superior, but I came away thinking that my E-P3 is going to continue to be "good enough" for at least a while longer and I can hold GAS at bay, particularly since I don't use video extensively.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I never use video, so that makes it even closer. Of course, I'm not buying an E-P3 since I have an E-PL5, but I so enjoy speculation . . .

7. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    For me, reality pales in comparison.

If only I could have been born into a family with enormous wealth.

Edit:

Just watched the video, and it really makes the E-P3 look awfully attractive at it's current price.......

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well EP5 is a good little beast and as soon as I can afford it I'll take it. But what about my E-pl5? Do you think it's worth trading it for the EP5?

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's pretty close. It's the better IBIS and 1/8000 shutter speed in exchange for "a nice lens" money. The E-PL5 is only $550 new so you're only going to get so much selling it.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I know. Here I'll lose even more but I'm really thinking that better IBIS and 1/8000 (but not so much) could be worth it and don't forget better handling which is important.
    I'm really undecided.:confused:

11. Jeroen81

Jeroen81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Indeed. The E-P3 is a very nice deal these days. Just upgraded from a E-PL1 to a E-P3 and happy with it. I'm planning on using it at least 2 years. Maybe I will than buy a cheap E-P5.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I just got an EP3...even if I have an E-pl5. Must be crazy.:confused: