1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 vs E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by late9sound, Jan 3, 2015.

1. late9sound

late9sound Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2014
    Price for E-P5 at Olympus website is $999.99 and E-M10 is $799.99. Is E-P5 a better camera than E-M10. I know move expensive item does not equate quality but this the two cameras come from same company. Any thought?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    E-P5 is a better camera in some ways:

- Feels really nice in the hand. Lovely feel and build.

- 5-axis IBIS

- 1/8000 shutter speed

- Rangefinder looks

Its big downside of course is the lack of an integrated EVF. This was a deal breaker for me. The E-M10 is a lovely camera too. You can't go wrong with either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    As far as I know, the biggest difference is the 1/8000 shutter speed and bigger battery in the EP5. There might built-quality points that make the EP5 more expensive for Olympus to build, but I've held both (own the EP5) and to me both feel high-quality in the hand.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-P5 has several features that are a level above the E-M10. Shutter speed, 5 vs 3 axis IBIS are but a few. Flash sync speed, four mode function lever / '2x2' dial interface, larger battery, and the AP2 accessory port are others. And the build is better, it feels a little better in the hand to me at least, mainly the dials. There are several feature the E-M10 has over the E-P5 as well. Viewfinder, newer processor, and more focus points are the main ones people mention.

All that said I recently sold my E-P5 and E-M1. I replaced them with an E-M10. I decided I liked the integrated viewfinder but didn't need the advanced features E-M1. I put the money toward other gear.

There is one feature the E-M1/E-M10 have that the E-P5 does not that really made the difference for me, I could have added the viewfinder to the E-P5 after all. That feature is the arrow pad. My other system is Nikon and the direct access to AF point selection may seem like a small thing but every time I would go between the E-P5 and E-M1 I noticed it. When I decided to sell the other two I considered the RX100 III and the Panasonic LX100. But once I added the function of the arrow pad into features that I look for both of those were out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Thanks David, that's an in-depth answer :)

When you refer to the "arrow pad" for focus points, however, what does the EM10 do that the EP5's buttons don't? Is it just the separation of the arrows? On EP5, I use the four buttons surrounding "OK" to move the focus point all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the separation is also a help but with the E-P5 you have to press the left arrow to then access the AF point selection. I know it may seem like a small thing, but of the 4 bodies I had the E-P5 was the one the odd one out. I did also notice the separation in menu operation.

7. late9sound

late9sound Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2014
    Great insight on both camera. From the information provided here - is it safe to say that If a person does not need the EVF then EP5 would be the one to get. Thank you much for the great info!

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The only other option I would consider is the E-PL7 but I prefer the built in flash over that clip on and dual control dials.

One thing I would note, I thought I wouldn't care about the viewfinder, there is at least one thread and several other posts I made in the past saying that it didn't really matter to me.

I was incorrect. :redface::frown: But the prices new/used are really close, reconditioned bodies on Olympus USA are within $90, eBay and forum prices are closer so you have options.

9. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Another aspect is that the E-P5 complements the E-M1 and E-M5 quite nicely. I usually use my E-P5 when I need to use off-camera flash because I don't need to locate that clip-on flash and fiddle with those small plastic covers over the connectors. Also, it uses the same batteries as the E-M1 which simplifies things if you already have an E-M1 or E-M5.

I did underestimate my need for a viewfinder though, it didn't take me long to cave in and buy a VF-4.

Also, the E-P5 looks gorgeous with the 17/1.8 attached. :)

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't think that's right. How the focus point moves in response to the arrow keys is completely programmable and is the same on all the E-Mx and E-Px cameras.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't have the E-P5 anymore. But I did check the manual (not saying it couldn't be wrong or the function didn't change in firmware updates). But I didn't see and don't recall a way to set the arrow pad to directly control the AF point selection without first pressing another button to get into point selection first. That first button press to enter selection mode is what I am referencing, once in selection mode they are the same. But I found the combination of the ring, my fat fingers, and the requirement of that first press to be a noticeable handling difference. On DPReview they also mention the flash and drive mode arrows are programmable (along with every other programmable button) but not the AF or exposure comp. For me it being a ring and having to make that first press the most common error was entering drive mode selection instead of AF selection.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    The most easy way to select focus point with E-P5 is to use the touchscreen.

• Like Like x 2
  13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The two cameras have different form factors, and that can be a major difference to some users. The EM10 follows the old OM1 look from the 1980's, and you can shoot it looking at the LCD screen or bringing it up to your eye for the EVF. The EP5 follows the PEN look from the 1970's, and you have to attach a $200 EVF to be able to bring it to your eye.

If you shoot a lot of video, my opinion is that the 5-way IBIS on the EP5 will give you a more stable picture than the 3-way on the EM10. I've looked at examples on the web from both, and when reviewers say they are similar, they must have different standards, Video should be stable like you were using a tripod, and it gets closer to that on my EM5 than what I see on EM10 examples.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't have my E-P5 anymore either, but I think the following works with all the E-Mx and E-Px cameras:

Cogs menu -> Button/Dial -> Button Function -> <^> Function (6th option) -> select the option [...]

P1050216_1024.
    P1050217_1024.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    On the E-M10 that lets you turn it on / off the AF selection or assign drive mode and flash the the down / right arrows like the E-P / E-PL bodies. And with those bodies the right and down can then be customized. The manual PDF I have for the E-P5 makes it seem like you can either set the left arrow to "home" AF setting or enter the selection mode.

Anyone with an E-P5 (E-PL5/6/7 might be the same) want to test it? I could be wrong and I have no problem saying so, I love the customization options with Olympus. It wouldn't surprise if it was there and I just missed it.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Very true, where I've noticed it is longer lenses. The 5 axis had me always using in body even on longer Panasonic lenses. With the E-M10 lens Mega O.I.S. is about the same in the simple testing I tried. Panasonic's Power O.I.S. might be better than the E-M10. The only lens I had with it was the 35-100 and I only used that on the E-M1 when I had them.

17. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Just checked on my EP5 and I have that option. Default is set to "Direct Function," but the "..." setting allows for control of focus point position directly.

Also checked on my EPM2 and it also supports this.

(FWIW, keeping mine to "Direct Function." Especially on the EPM2, it's pretty important to maintain access to the exposure compensation via the UP direction.)

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Thanks Mark, guess I missed that. And I can definitely see why on the E-PM2 you would leave it on direct function. :drinks: Here you go Paul. :thumbup:

Would that have changed my decision? :hmmm: I miss pressed the direction key often enough and have found I do use the viewfinder, So I don't think so in the end.

19. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks David. I take no pleasure in being right (well, maybe a little :wink:). Truth is I've used so many of the Oly cameras over the last 18 months without finding major differences between them that I was fairly sure there wasn't such a major omission in the E - P5.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Take pleasure when ever you can, nothing wrong with that.

But I know what you mean, since June 2012 I've owned:
    Oly E-PM1
    Pan GX1
    Oly E-P5
    Oly E-M1
    Oly E-M10

Oh and a Fuji X-M1

:redface:

And when I sold the E-P5 and E-M1 (that I had at the same time) I looked long and hard at the Sony RX100 III and Panasonic LX100. Features can run together at times. In the end I picked the E-M10 gripped and sans grip.