E-P5 vs E-M10 tracking?I

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by battleaxe, Jun 24, 2014.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I did a search, but I didn't see much of a discussion on this topic. How does the E-M10 compare to the E-P5 when it comes to tracking moving subjects? What about for action shots? I know the E-P5 has a faster shutter speed, but does it also have an AF and tracking advantage over the E-M10; then again the E-M10 comes with the newer True Pic processor vs the E-P5. Thank you.
  2. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    No experience of the E-P5 my previous m4/3 camera was a G3 which advertised good tracking as a feature.

I've been playing with the tracking on my EM10 fitted with the 100-300mm lens in anticipation of next month's Farnborough Air Show.
    Tracking has never really worked on any camera I've owned when it comes to Ground-to-Air Shots and the EM10 is no exception.
    It's supposed to be optimised for tracking if you select the 9 Group Frame ( Olympus website ) but it's still too clunky to use it on really fast action with my telephoto.

As ever good basic panning techniques and faster single AF than before with and without IS will get the job done.
    I've discovered that Continuous focusing with tracking is not viable with the 100-300mm lens maybe it's better with other lenses but I've not tried.
  3. battleaxe

I am not sure if you saw the recent mirrorless AF/tracking shootout that Camera Store TV did, but the E-M1, with the Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 looked to do a pretty solid job, even compared Nikon D4S. It may have been third in the comparison, but it sounds like for the most part all them are close enough that you can't really go wrong. I was thinking maybe since the E-M10 shares the same True Pic II processor, that maybe it's closer to the E-M1 is this regard? But, then that has me wondering, since the E-P5 is the top line PEN, maybe it's better in this regard? Maybe the E-M10 will surprise you positively with its performance.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Neither the E-M10 nor E-P5 have PDAF! I doubt they could match up to the E-M1 on C-AF-TR with PDAF...
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Yep, no replacement for PDAF, especially with subjects heading towards the camera. On the EM5/PM2s C-AF-TR works ok for objects going left to right and for panning, I'd imagine its the same for the EM10.
  6. battleaxe

I know the E-M10 doesn't offer PDAF, but I was wondering(and assuming) maybe the newer process from the E-M1 would give it a slight AF and tracking advantage over the E-P5. Hence the reason for this thread.

Does the GH4 offer PDAF?
  7. wjiang

The GH4 does sneaky DFD with Panasonic lenses, so it does C-AF-TR well without PDAF but only with Panasonic lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. battleaxe

I take only the GH4 offers this, or do other models, like the GX7 offer it?

I am tempted by both of these models(E-P5 and E-M10), but I'd like to know which is the better one for focus tracking and such.
  9. wjiang

So far the only models that have it are the GH4 and FZ1000, but I imagine they'll incorporate it into more bodies going forward if it works that well.
  10. battleaxe

Argh. So, back to the E-M10, would it be a solid choice for action, or would I be better off waiting for the E-M1(or a Panasonic camera smaller than the GH4 with DFD) to come down? I would keep the Sony, but I feel more of a bond with m4/3.
  11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Had the EP5 and sold it to get the EM10, and while I don't do a lot of CAF-TR, I would say that the EM10 is "better". Significantly better - again did not do enough with either camera to really comment - so I would tend towards "better but not significantly". As was pointed out, none of the cameras without PDAF really handle tracking - when the subject is going directly towards or away from the camera - well. The overall AF of the EM10 seems a bit better than I remember the EP5 being.
    • Like Like x 1