1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 user reviews and experiences

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by enzodiac, Jul 3, 2013.

1. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    Hi folks!
    I started this thread to gather some user reviews and experiences for the E-P5.
    I will start off!

I come from DSLRs like E-510 and E-3. My last camera was the E-M5 with battery grip which I sold to get the "advantages" of the E-P5 while I wait for a bigger more ergonomical camera that hopefully supports 4/3 lenses in a better way. I like to shoot birds with my fully manual nikon 300mm f2.8 and also macros. So for me the low iso, 1/8000 shutter speed, fast shutter respons, vf-4 and focus peaking got me thinking about the E-P5.

So here are my initial impressions coming from E-M5

Things that could improve:

- Build quality is great but weather sealing would have been even better

- As usual the strap nuts are kind of in the way

- Built in flash should be tiltable

- There should be an option to turn off the rear lcd completely and still use eye sensor on the vf-4. When the camera is not to my eye I want it completely black please?

- Most of the buttons feel good, but the circular thing around the OK button is horrible. Whoever designed this should.... It cuts into your thumb if you don't use your fingernails to press it.

- Focus peaking is beta at best. I don't really know if I can use it at all. I guess it looks good but the frame rate drops HARD and when you half press the shutter to stabilize the view, the whole damn thing goes away. Come on Olympus didn't you even try the feature before releasing it?

- The shutter button is not very tactile. The one from E-M5 is alot better.

- Mode dial is too easy to turn and feels exactly like the control wheel to the right of it. I accidently turn the mode dial all the time since E-M5 has the wheels a little bit apart.

- If you use half shutter press with IBIS there is a lag if you release the shutter. The IBIS works for another second which is nothing big, but it doesn't make the whole experience swift. I like things to happen instantly when I press something and also stop working instantly when I don't want it anymore.

On to the good things:

+ Camera feels responsive! I like the low delay options for the shutter. Dunno if it limits something else with the camera, but it feels good anyway :)

+ ISO LOW and 1/8000 is very welcome

+ Small focus point rocks

+ HDR bracketing, thaaaank you!

+ I like having the magnify button on the back close to your thumb

+ Shutter is even more quiet than E-M5 i believe

Those are the things that come to mind now. I haven't tried WIFI yet but as I have heard it only works in i-auto which, frankly, sucks.

Attached Files:

2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for your first impressions. I want to buy this one and one of the features I want more is focus peaking but what you write makes me cool down a bit. It seems as if it sucks.
    Is it really unuseable?

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Enaging IBIS disengages focus peaking?! Ugh

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    If focus peaking is not useable this one is not for me.
    Well the positive is much money saved....:biggrin:

5. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    That is correct.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

:mad::mad:

7. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    It is not unusable. But It's not for moving targets and it works best with magnified view. But the again, magnified view with low frame rate is very hard to control. What I have come to find out is that IBIS is automatically activated in magnified view and then all of a sudden the focus peaking works. This must be a bug, which I found in 1 minute of using the camera. Very sloppy work from Olympus :(

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    So for MF you have to use focus peaking AND magnified view for getting the best out of it?:confused:

9. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    Yes that is how I see it anyway.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. One more question. When IBIS engages FP disappears, right? Is this an issue for MF; I mean if in that moment you move slightly aren't you going out of focus? Or am I getting something wrong?

11. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    Yes you are correct. All these small usability issues tend to make the whole experience suffer. I don't like that IBIS stays on for a second after I release the shutter button as well.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. I can't understand why they don't try cameras thoroughly before putting it on the market for sale. I mean if someone uses the camera its not difficult to find these small issues and correct them, right? DO THE TESTERS EVER USED A CAMERA?:frown:

13. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    The only thing I can think of is they do it deliberately to protect a more advanced camera model. It is lame though to limit software this way since it is so easy for them to add it if they want to...

14. Eagle

Eagle Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2013
    Netherlands
    Arend
  15. timp4jc

timp4jc New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    Moore, SC
    Tim
    I just got my E-P5 today, but I am beating my head against the wall because of Adorama.com shipping and support. I am pretty sure that they messed up and sent me the wrong box which is just the body only, but wanted to make that when you order the kit that all the items come in one box (this is my first new Oly. Making the switch from Canon). Would you be willing to send me a picture of the Olympus box/es so I can email them a picture of what I am supposed to have and what I have got? Their phone support is saying olympus left the items out. I am pretty sure they just didn't pack the right thing because the packaging only show the body. This is all very frustrating after a month and have wait. I was so hoping to post some new pictures today, but until I know what the deal is I am unsure if I should even unwrap it. Thanks for any help. I love the community I have found here.

16. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    You CAN use focus peaking with IBIS.

As long as I have the camera set to manual focus and trigger peaking by manually focusing, the peaking effect stays on while half-pressing the shutter for IBIS.

17. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    I don't really know what you mean. I just bought the body only though so my box is no good. From what I have seen from unpackings though, the kit comes in one box only. Lens, camera and viewfinder in the same box.

18. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    That's true! I never tried that because I am mostly interested in focus peaking for legacy lenses. Anyway the framerate drop sucks however we look at it. I really hope this is a firmware fix!

edit: And besides using focus peak by turning MF ring is not very good since the FP only comes on when you turn the focus ring. If you stop turning it, it disappears.

19. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    For legacy lenses, and for keeping peaking on constantly, use the custom button toggle to enable peaking.

I have my custom switch set to toggle between auto and manual focus. Have the Fn. button set to toggle peaking, and have peaking set to turn on when I manually rotate the barrel, even in auto focus modes.

The frame rate isn't great for sure. But so far, it's not been a hindrance or anything, just a lack of polish.

20. timp4jc

timp4jc New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    Moore, SC
    Tim
    Thanks enzodiac. I was thinking from your picture that you bought the kit. I appreciate the info.