E-P5 to have NO(!) Viewfinder & ~1K.

Kingsfan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Q
well there's still hope for the GX2... but i think i've already gotten over the "rangefinder style" m43 body with EVF that doesn't exist

WT21

Super Moderator
Maybe, but E-M6 will definitely have better specs than the E-M5. If Olympus could somehow get ISO100 back, I would be willing to pay 50$ more for that feature only.
lol. Yeah, I might even pay a bit more than $50, and even more still for ISO 50 (but only if we can keep the same high ISO performance, which doesn't seem possible to me)

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have three comments ;
1. Oh come on, it's just 43Rumours!
2. No EVF? Good, good.
3. Every proper Pen came out at around £900 first price, and the e-P3 didn't even include the viewfinder! Theft, that was. Expect at least that much.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I couldn't guess how many times I've read it here but there is nothing NOT serious about NOT shooting with an E-M5 ! Take a good look around this place for a while and you'll find a lot of people are shooting GF/GX and PEN cameras because they simply just aren't into the G/GH/OMD style bodies. I've been here long enough to know for certain these guys take what they do as seriously as anybody else and they have the results to show for it.
This is a key post. As Joe states there are those amongst us, myself maybe leading the way...that don't like the SLR form. Maybe I'll sound crazy but I just got 2 new E-P3 kits. Couldn't be happier.
They print 16 x 20 just fine. End that.
So Oly like every other maker lets down its followers.

Personally, I don't want a finder of any type in my camera.
The new Pen should be 16mp or higher with an evf. They are not competing against themselves or Panny... Fuji is the one to watch out for.

I am not surprised not let down by the camera...rumors...
but many of my friends are and I feel for them....

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
well there's still hope for the GX2... but i think i've already gotten over the "rangefinder style" m43 body with EVF that doesn't exist
Me too.I've preordered my X100s for smallish rangefinder body.Oly/Pana may never produce what, seemingly, everyone wants.

Did the baby come yet?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
If you switch to the rear view, it looks like Fuji made the camera a little taller and the LCD a little smaller to accommodate the EVF. Oly could make a slightly larger body and include the EVF.
They did. It's called the OM-D. Same size as the E-P3 except for the extra protrusion where the EVF sits.

That's why I don't understand why people are so hung up on an E-P3 sized and styled body with built-in EVF. It's been here for a year already. Put the EVF in the center and it looks like an old SLR. Put the EVF to the left and it looks like a rangefinder. So what? There's no practical difference. If they put the built-in EVF to the left and made the entire camera a little taller to accommodate, it would no longer be as small as the E-P3... same diff as the E-M5. I don't see the need for them to redesign, develop, and produce an entirely new line of camera body just for people who prefer the "look" of a rangefinder over the "look" of an SLR. That extra production is just going to drive the price of all the cameras up for everyone, and won't improve our photography one iota!

suntoryjim

Mu-43 Regular
IMO the price point is the biggest disappoinment. I can live with VF-2 but I don't see the point in pricing the E-P5 so close to E-M5 if it doesn't deliver almost all the same goodies.
This leads me to thinking: Olympus realizes that with the OM-D, people are willing to spend upwards of $1,200 for a high quality product. By offering an upscale PEN in the form of the E-P5, Olympus is reeling-in the potential customers who chose not buy an OM-D either because they did not like the retro-SLR styling, or they are more interested in a better touch screen experience from a larger rangefinder style camera.

I doubt Olympus is hoping for the OM-D crowd to cross-over to the PEN when the E-P5 is released. The integrated EVF is the OM-D's strongest selling point, and to give that away to the PEN line would instantly downgrade the upcoming E-M7. No one at Olympus wants to hear "why would I buy an OM-D when I could get a E-P5, which also has an integrated EVF, for $200 less?"

WT21

Super Moderator
They did. It's called the OM-D. Same size as the E-P3 except for the extra protrusion where the EVF sits.

That's why I don't understand why people are so hung up on an E-P3 sized and styled body with built-in EVF. It's been here for a year already. Put the EVF in the center and it looks like an old SLR. Put the EVF to the left and it looks like a rangefinder. So what? There's no practical difference. If they put the built-in EVF to the left and made the entire camera a little taller to accommodate, it would no longer be as small as the E-P3... same diff as the E-M5. I don't see the need for them to redesign, develop, and produce an entirely new line of camera body just for people who prefer the "look" of a rangefinder over the "look" of an SLR. That extra production is just going to drive the price of all the cameras up for everyone, and won't improve our photography one iota!
I dunno. To me, they are different form factors. Having had the XE1 for a weekend, I liked it better than the OMD.

However, something that might be missing -- m43 can't do true "range finder" because there's no aperture dial on the lenses. They can do an EV and a SS dial on top, but you're still going to have to have a control for Aperture somewhere on the body. That's one thing the OMD has -- the two dials, though they aren't labeled. I kind of liked the labeled dials of the XE1.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I wanted to put it out there. m43, without changing it's lens approach, can't do exactly what Fuji is doing, though it should be able to do better controls than the NEX.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
As noted, its is more the $ than the other reasons...Question really will be, what will make it superior to even the 3? Frankly, an integrated finder would be nice, but not for excessive bucks...patience.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
It would not make sense for them to release a more expensive EP model with same basic sensor and specs as low priced Epm. Usually the order of release is reversed to maximize sales.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
However, something that might be missing -- m43 can't do true "range finder" because there's no aperture dial on the lenses. They can do an EV and a SS dial on top, but you're still going to have to have a control for Aperture somewhere on the body. That's one thing the OMD has -- the two dials, though they aren't labeled. I kind of liked the labeled dials of the XE1.
I love manual apertures! This is one reason why I love using all manual lenses. Perhaps somebody should start making native glass with manual aperture and autofocus. We do have native m4/3 mount manual lenses with aperture rings, but they also lack AF. Or maybe make more lenses with a physical electronic aperture ring like the old 4/3 25mm f/1.4 Summilux. Although I personally prefer a mechanical aperture ring myself and would gladly forego electronic auto-aperture for it. I know others wouldn't. ;)

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
It would not make sense for them to release a more expensive EP model with same basic sensor and specs as low priced Epm. Usually the order of release is reversed to maximize sales.
One thing the E-P line has always offered over the Lite and Mini lines has been more physical control dials and buttons. I could see them further improving on that by adding the OM-D style finger/thumb dials as opposed to the old Pen style of thumb and rear dial. All while keeping with the old modular EVF system of the Pen line. That's just a thought. ;)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
If this thing has hybrid PDAF focusing and/or some sort of EVF/LCD stabilization (like the OM-D), I can forego the built-in EVF. If it's just another PEN body with no advancements, than Olympus is really missing the boat on this one.

Bcostin

Mu-43 Rookie
Good. If I want an EVF I'd buy an OM-D. Are two different product lines really such an awful thing?

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
so as not to compete with the up coming fixed lens m43 25mm olympus camera rf style with built in vf priced similarly!

*crosses fingers*

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
nothing riles up the crowd more than the repeated disappointment of the same request being repeatedly ignored.

For those looking for a rangefinder shaped camera, Fuji will now take your money. Olympus has told you that your money is no good to them.

cprevost

Mu-43 Regular
Well, if they release a new viewfinder model with the camera at the price of the Vf3 then all will be forgiven.

I think Oly is counting on some OMD "upgrading" to the new pen so they need to differentiate it enough to make that appealing. A built in flash, removable higher spec viewfinder, plus a few other spec improvements may be enough to cause many with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) to dump their OMD's in favor of a new pen. Without getting some OMD owners to upgrade there may not be enough market for the new pen. Simply moving the viewfinder to the left side of the body will probably not be enough.

WT21

Super Moderator
I think the plan is that you will go OMD - new Pen - new OMD, right? :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom