1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 to have NO(!) Viewfinder & ~1K.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrKal_El, Mar 5, 2013.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Maybe it's 1k when they bundle it with the 17mm 1.8 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This rumor is probably was released in order to motivate people to get current OMD and E-PL5.
    Unless the E-P5 is a leap in performance I do not see why people will buy it at this price. But releasing such a rumor will help the sales of current models.

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I think some (if not a lot) are waiting for a GX1-type or EP3-type cameras with built-in VF! put it a high ISO performance improvement of at least 1 full-stop and a dash of some classic and retro looks, minus the price-tag of the OMD -- I think it will be a winner.

5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have been following this also. Hopefully this is not true and is some false marketing. Having said that it is not looking good at FT5 status.

It is difficult to understand the mindset behind this decision, if it becomes reality. I am not an OMD form lover and have been waiting for a RF style with built in VF. I do not accept that the release of this body style with VF would confuse or complicate their products further than what already exists.

An OMD and a Pen styled body with built in EVF are two different styles. If this rumor becomes fact, Olympus will again have 3 models of a similar form that require an external VF, in their 4th model release of Digital Pens. At the rumored $1,000 price + additional EVF, this is in the range of the X-E1 with superior ergonomics for people that prefer this style. The Fuji kit lens is superior to anything in the M43 kit zoom territory.

Every now and then one must sit back and evaluate what their needs and desires are for any given hobby. If this becomes reality, this will be the trigger for me to sit back and evaluate my decision to remain in M43. It may be time to sell out and choose a manufacturer prepared to deliver what the market desires.

I would have thought this was not rocket science, but it appears that it is just that. They could have made a killing with a Pen with EVF built in. Now it will be another cake of soap with a clip on device hogging the hot shoe.

Who will spend in excess of $1,000 to use this body as a point and shoot (arms out stretched squinting at a LCD) with a flash connected occupying the hot shoe? This is either absolute arrogance, absolute stupidity or a mixture of both.

End of rant...

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I will just sit on my EPL5 then. I haven't the slightest idea what an EP5 could offer to entice me off it, if there's no built in VF. A thumb wheel? :p

7. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Re: E-P5 to have NO(!) Viewfinder & ~1K.

Panasonic has the G5 and GH3 cameras, both have EVF but they're for a different customer

Why Olympus can't have a Pen with EVF and then the OM-D for more serious users?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think this is the point exactly. Presumably it won't have 5-way IBIS either, so what drives someone to purchase? No OM-D hump and more external controls than E-PL5? There has to be more to it than that. Any chance of an OVF?

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

I couldn't guess how many times I've read it here but there is nothing NOT serious about NOT shooting with an E-M5 ! Take a good look around this place for a while and you'll find a lot of people are shooting GF/GX and PEN cameras because they simply just aren't into the G/GH/OMD style bodies. I've been here long enough to know for certain these guys take what they do as seriously as anybody else and they have the results to show for it.

• Like Like x 8
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    OK, maybe I'm just being silly here but I had always assumed that Olympus wanted a camera of a certain size and couldn't fit an EVF in it. For example, the E-PL5 seems pretty solid and I seriously doubt there's a lot of extra space in there.

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I think with some there is some space to put EVF in the E-P3 i order to make it E-P5. If you look at the picture bellow you can see that the E-P3 has allot of wasted real estate at the top left and right to the LCD. Moving the LCD to the right and having a little bump at the top left can give space for EVF. The lack of EVF is pure a marketing decision and not a size related.

155-4-1.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The product line-up just screams out to me:

• EPM -- small and cheap. Pocket sized, main or back-up body.
    • EPL -- compact, EVF-less, but modular (i.e. add VF2). Minimal controls, but tilty screen. Love it like it is now.
    • EP -- range-finder like, with dials on top and corner O/EVF. A bit bigger to fit in more physical controls.
    • OMD weather sealed, hump, 5-way IBIS, meatier with battery grip option. Good for big flash head.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    btw -- I suppose Panny could still release an L1 type reboot. Only issue is aperture is not on the lens. But, if they are all using the Sony sensor, then it'll just come down to body ergos.

14. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    People are upset for now, but for all we know it could be a tremendous leap forward in performance. Hopefully it is--I'm not too proud to clean up the scraps when people start losing their E-PL5s or OMDs for the awesome new product. :D

15. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Including Panasonic's.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Count us in as those who have been waiting for the E-P5 with an EVF. :dash2: After taking our PEN to AZ on business trip recently my wife, the serious PEN lover, said that she does not want another camera that does not have an EVF.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oh, I agree, but the current sensor already goes to ISO6400 easily, and the AF is the fastest in the mirrorless world. What could be next?

IF (and only if) they put PDAF on the sensor and IF it actually creates real C-AF and IF they have compact (not 43 with adapter) lenses, then that could make me move. The other part of the rumor is a new EVF. I tried the Fuji EVF -- it's higher resolution and far truer colors than the VF2. It also smears, tears, jerks around and gave me a headache. They would have to combine the benefits of both to get me to move off the VF2.

We shall see :)

18. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    So where is the Panasonic/Olympus version of the Fuji X-E1?

I can only imagine how popular that would be.

19. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    E-P5 at that price point without EVF should be weather sealed and have the 5 axis IS. Add to that better quality tilting screen and then I might consider buying it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Wasted real estate.... where the flash is?