E-P5 to change for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pix530, Jun 4, 2014.

1. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    I have my excellent E-P5 camera and enjoy it a lot.
    However, I started to think about making a change to E-M1
    I shoot posed portraits and sport only.

Want to listen your idea and advice about such migration.

Benefits of E-P5 - all functions I need, stab, smaller size and weight (important), build in flash (for WR management)
    Benefits of E-M1 - bigger body for my big lenses, 81 vs 35 focus points, PAF, Phase detection AF and better C-AF for sport.

Weather sealing - no difference as I do not shoot when its required, never.
    viewfinder - no difference, as I use LCD and external devices too.
    External mic, HDR, screen resolution - no impact.
  2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Don't suppose keeping the E-P5 and buying the E-M1 in ADDITION is an option? I bought the E-P5 after the E-M1 and use each as often as the other. My reasoning was that the E-M1 has the O12-40 just about glued to it, and the E-P5 I carry everywhere, everyday with a prime attached.

(Appreciate you only shoot posed portraits and sport, but figure if would give you an en excuse to have a second body and something always on hand)

If it's not an option to maintain two bodies, then the E-M1 might better suit your needs. Don't know if you've thought of it, but benefit of it also includes the HLD-7: additional battery, adds surface area for better/alternate grip and, rather than simply duplicating controls, you can provide assignments to different functionality.
  3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    • bigger body for my big lenses
    • 81 vs 35 focus points
    • PAF
    • Phase detection AF
    • better C-AF for sport

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Phase Detect Autofocus only works on 4/3 lenses (not Micro 4/3 lenses).

The major differences between an EP5 (with VF4) and an EM1 are:

• Handling
    • Compatibility with 4/3 lenses

If you don't plan to use 4/3 lenses (you didn't mention it), then it really comes down to handling. Go pick up an EM1 somewhere and decide if you want to switch based on how it feels.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    I think the PDAF also is activated when you choose C-AF
  5. garryf

garryf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    I recently got the EM1 for the better auto focus, with view to selling EP5 (I also have a GM1 for taking everywhere)

I did some tests with the kids running at the camera, and the EP5 failed to get anything properly focused/sharp. The EM1 however did manage to get most pics sharp. It's very important you get the right settings on it though, from memory
    C-AF (no tracking)
    face detection off
    drive mode low - 6 fps
    shutter speed delay - short
    (there's another setting in menu's I set to normal for af lock)

Initially when I got the camera I was quite disappointed with the AF until I found advice on the above, but now quite pleased! Most of the above can be done with a myset etc. (except for the last two which is annoying)
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that you shouldn't go into the trade expecting the E-M1 to blow you away compared to the E-P5, although that is more a reflection of the E-P5 already being an extremely good camera rather than the E-M1 being unimpressive. I think that you've already covered the headline differences between the two and if they matter to you then you'll be happy switching to the E-M1, and if not I'd just stick with the E-P5.
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    EP5 is a great camera. No need to upgrade to EM1 since the IQ were not so different except if you want to buy 12-40mm. Kinda awkward to see 12-40mm attached on EP5.
  8. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I'd stick to the E-P5, smaller when you want it to be.
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I recently did replace my E-P5 with an E-M1 - sort of. I run two bodies and had been using an E-M5 as the go-to body with larger lenses and an E-P5 as a more portable travel kit. However, I came to realise that an EVF was essential to me and the E-P5 plus VF4 is bigger and more cumbersome than the ungripped E-M5. So, I swapped my "main" camera from the E-M5 plus grip to the E-M1 and "downgraded" my E-M5 (now gripless) to be my travel camera. I'm very happy with the move.

TBH, the E-M1 isn't really a lot bigger than the E-P5 either. If you add the VF-4 I think in fact the E-M1 is probably smaller in overall dimensions.