1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

e-p5 still costing a fortune!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jeroen, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Jeroen

Jeroen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2010
    the netherlands
    when is this thing going to be decently discounted? say 50% cheaper? it makes no friggin' sense next to the e-m5 and em-1.

/rant

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I see you're in the Netherlands. Actually here in the U.S. it's come down to the level of the GX7. If you shop aggressively, you can get the E-P5 for around $750, and around $900-950 with the VF-4. An E-P5 with a VF-4 has more features than an E-M5, and it's still more than $400 less than an E-M1. But I do think you'll see another $200 or so come off of the price in January/February.

You can get mint condition used ones for well under $700 now.

3. Jeroen

Jeroen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2010
    the netherlands
    thanks for taking the time to respond to my badly written angry rant. the truth is, i've wanted this camera ever since it was announced, and I know that the e-m5 really isn't an option (nor the e-m1). I will definitely need the vf-4, It's not often found used over here so it looks like i'll just have to have more patience. I could buy it now, and I will probably love it but as a matter of principle I won't pay the price that Oly are currently asking. If it had a fully articulated screen however..

4. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Hi
    Recently returned to MU 43 sold all my Nikon gear!...because I got hold of a mint E P5 for less than £500 on ebay....I had e m5 didn't think it was all that special (due to look and handling) NOT image ability!
    When I knew I could get e -m5 quality in a better looking smaller form...I jumped back in!
    Look and quality reminded me why I love this system!
    WORTH EVERY PENNY! shot and cropped in very poor light...best thing was I had my whole system in my coat pockets (NO BAG TO CART AROUND)
    Regards
    Scott.

• Like Like x 1
  5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    it's the current Pen model; the answer to your opening question is probably "When it is replaced as the top Pen model"

from the sound of it you will then complain if the E-P6 comes out with a fully articulated (updated) screen and is packaged with a vf-4 as well as a new sensor and engine......

so you will be the only one not wanting that to happen :smile:

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The e-P5 is still NEW

7. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    To be fair it does feel a bit too expensive. I keep intending to buy but haven't quite done so despite being able to afford it. I will get one at some point because it fits my needs better than the alternatives but I'd feel slightly ripped off at the current asking price.

8. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Why not go get an E-P3 for a couple hundred bucks? It was $799 not too long ago too :)

9. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    From my perspective, ibis that works in video and useable ISO 3200.

10. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I bought one early after release and like it quite well. I do have the VF4 and some nice lenses to go along with it. It feels great in (my) hands. I have customized most of the buttons and dial settings.

I recommend it highly.
    Dan

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's a couple E-P5's at my local shop for $650.

12. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    The em-5 is still 900 Euros body-only and the E-P5 is (in my opinion) a nicer camera. The Netherlands is one of the countries where you can get a VF-4 viewfinder for free when you buy an E-P5 this year, saves 230,- euros....

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    EP models have always been very pricey compared to the more bare bones models. I only recall them being discounted when next EP model was out. I think Olympus expects only the big ******s who want the more premium quality body to buy so they figure those people will buy it at a premium anyway.

14. Jeroen

Jeroen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2010
    the netherlands
    that's a fantastic portrait. which lens and ISO value if I may ask?

15. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I paid over $900 for the E-P3, 17 2.8 and VF-2 two years ago. I saw the E-P3 kits going for $250 to $300 last summer. It still stings a bit so I'll wait another year or so fro the E-P5 to drift down. No rush, I really like the E-P3 and it makes great counterpoint to my Canon 5D MKII and 6D.

16. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Hi Jeroen
    It was my favorite walkabout lens (panny 20mm F1.7) iso 1600....just a grab shot of the wife while queing for a tram (very dismal day inside unlit station!) always come away with in my opinion some real keepers...Still think this lens for size is the best i have ever used ...any system!
    And purely the reason i come back to m43...tried nikons / canons /pentax while nice cams ...nothing has come close (any lens) To the output this panny 20 gives me.