E-P5 - So far so good

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Pretty much everything I was hoping for that the GX1 was not so far. I do actually have an E-M10 coming as well for another family member so I will do a little head to head. I don't think that will change my mind but who knows.

One thing I didn't think I would use is the digital tele-converter. No it's probably not going to give me an award winning image but I can sure using it a baseball games. I'll have to play with it. The only reason I even tried it was I was looking for button assignment options and found it was an option for magnifying glass, so why not?

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
In what way do you like it better than Gx1. I am curious since I am considering same upgrade . Thanks
Btw, isn't the teleconverter mode same as crop? Nice for video imo.

D

Deleted member 20897

I've been toying around with a second m43 body. Looking at the either a used EM5, EM10 or used EP5. I'm a big fan of having a viewfinder, so the EP5 is bottom of the list unless I can find a good deal on the VF-4.

Always interested in other people's experiences with the PEN series cameras.

Mstoeckle

Mu-43 Regular
The Wi-Fi and the fact I can put the VF-4 on the E-P5 are my reasons for loving it. Oh and focus peaking and 5 axis IBS. I'm holding out on the E-M1, partly because I have my trusty E-M5 for bad weather. Nothing beats looking into the V-F4.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Try looking thru the EVF on the Fuji XT1. I thought the EVF on my EM1 was the cat's meow but the EVF on the XT1 is even bigger and brighter. Next month, the XT1 gets updated from a 2.3mil pixel EVF to a 4K one. Now that should be gorgeous to look thru.

Nothing beats looking into the V-F4.

Johbremat

Mu-43 Regular

I bought an E-P5 a few months after getting the E-M1. With the same innards and similar control, there's not issue with trying to navigate an entirely different system when trying to catch that brief moment. Six months later and they're still getting equal amounts of use.

On the E-P5 I leave either an O17 or O12 on it (carrying the other), nearly everywhere I go. The VF-4 is fantastic. Leaves me a few additional perspectives to shoot from versus having an inbuilt EVF.

Would like a plate or grip for it that's similar to the one the E-M10 got as an accessory. Not convinced by the UNX and don't dig the JB Designs one.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been toying around with a second m43 body. Looking at the either a used EM5, EM10 or used EP5. I'm a big fan of having a viewfinder, so the EP5 is bottom of the list unless I can find a good deal on the VF-4.

Well in that case :D

I upgraded to the PEN E-P5 + VF-4 a couple of weeks ago after about a month with the PEN E-PM2.

So far - absolutely love it. While everyone I asked about it said the standard "getting a better camera will not make you a better photographer" - and it is true that the photos out of it aren't especially better - it is a whole lot nicer to take photos with in the first place. So - part of that means you can attempt shots you wouldn't have bothered with in the first place, and those sometimes don't work, but it rules when they do.

There are 3 things that I think are utterly amazing and I would only gush about it in such a way as to invite ridicule -

* 5 axis IBIS - utterly transformative for someone like me with fairly shakey hands

* The VF-4 - such a gigantic leap up from the PM2's rear LCD. Still at that point where I occasionally forget I have it and then think "oh right, I have this thing *puts eye up to it* holy crap this is incredible :O"

* the two way switch to flick between instant control of aperture/shutter, and white balance/iso - again something where I still occasionally go to thumb the wheel around the 4-way pad as on the PM2 and am forced to think "oh right, I have this thing. Wow that's so much better" :D

Stuff I thought I would use more often but don't (yet)

* the ability to bind mysets to the mode dial - this was actually the one thing that made me really regret going for the PM2 rather than the PL5 (there was a fairly vast gulf in price between them at the time I got the PM2) - at the moment still a "nice to have" thing, not really using it as much as I thought. Probably need a larger lens collection for it to matter that much.

* focus peaking - thought this would be huge, really don't use it that much given that I have the VF-4. VF-4 plus magnification is actually a lot more appealing to use and I really only turn on FP when (somewhat perversely) I want to know where focus 'isn't' in the scene.

Stuff I don't enjoy much -

* the grip - both the thumb grip at the rear and the front grip should really have had a little more work, I think. I'll have to see how the JB wood grip goes when it gets here (was going to use sugru but decided I would rather sugru a detachable grip than the actual camera body if need be).

* the placement of some buttons (movie, magnify, menu) are slightly awkward to operate by feel when I have the VF-4 attached. Really wish they had repositioned these slightly, maybe so movie/magnify/menu all sit next to each other and can be touched without moving your thumb around as much.

* wish the pop-up flash was more flexible - it seems like they went for "what's the biggest thing we can fit in this hole" straight off without thinking of many other usage cases. Wish it tilted and maybe had an integrated/flip up diffuser that would collapse with it.

D

Deleted member 20897

I bought an E-P5 a few months after getting the E-M1. With the same innards and similar control, there's not issue with trying to navigate an entirely different system when trying to catch that brief moment. Six months later and they're still getting equal amounts of use.

On the E-P5 I leave either an O17 or O12 on it (carrying the other), nearly everywhere I go. The VF-4 is fantastic. Leaves me a few additional perspectives to shoot from versus having an inbuilt EVF.

Would like a plate or grip for it that's similar to the one the E-M10 got as an accessory. Not convinced by the UNX and don't dig the JB Designs one.

If I had a second m43 body, I would have the Oly 17/1.8 on one and the Oly 45/1.8 on the other. That would be killer! :D

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
When I bought my EM1, I was actually looking at the EP5 with VF4 viewfinder and comparing the two cameras. The form factor of the EP5 is great. In the end, I went with the EM1 but if the the EP5 had the following features, I probably would have gone for it instead. I'm still hoping Olympus will come out with an EP7 which adds these features.

- Built-in viewfinder on the top left corner (like some of the Fuji cameras as well as the GX7) which would not only be appropriate for a rangefinder styled body but also allows use of camera with both eyes open (for right eyed users). As good as the VF4 is, it sticks out way too much from the camera and changes the profile of the EP5 from a sleek rangefinder style camera to something that's larger and odd looking. As I'm someone who prefers shooting with a viewfinder, for me the VF4 would live on the camera and a built-in viewfinder is preferable.

- Change the pop-up flash to one built into the body like on the Fuji X100S. Only use for a built-in flash for me would be to trigger a flash. The EM1 provides a FL-LM2 flash which is small enough to be carried around if needed and comes in handy to use a trigger.

- Slightly more tactile mode dial like on the EM1. When I bought the EM1, at first, I appreciated the lock button on the mode dial but because the dial is firm and tactile, it doesn't switch modes when going in and out of my camera bag and therefore never use the lock button. The EP5 dial is a bit looser in feel and there's a bit of play in the dial. Even my Canon 5D Mk.II has a less tactile feel than the EM1 and every now and then, find that the mode has switched from aperture priority to something else. A bit annoying.

That's pretty much it. Maybe add one or two more customizable Fn buttons. I like the EP5, but with a few tweaks, it would be something I would immediately buy as a second m43 body.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Might be some variation between models? My mode dial is extremely 'sticky' (as in - you need quite a bit of force to turn it and anything short of completely tipping it over into a new mode will roll it back to where it was) and it's by far the toughest of the 3 to turn around. I agree there could be some more buttons though - kind of wish the 2-way selector could also rebind the rest of the configurable buttons as well.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
The one that I was testing, the mode dial had a lot of play meaning you could rock it back and forth between modes before settling into the next mode and overall was quite easy to turn. In effect, it felt a bit cheap whereas the EM1 mode dial feels solid and firmly planted. It might well be sample to sample variation since I've heard from some users that it takes a deliberate and hard press to engage the pop-up flash whereas on the one I sampled, it took just a very light touch. I've also heard other users complain of the same light touch to engage the flash and the flash popping up inside camera bags.

But again, these are my personal wish list of upgrades that I would love to see in the future EP7.

Might be some variation between models? My mode dial is extremely 'sticky' (as in - you need quite a bit of force to turn it and anything short of completely tipping it over into a new mode will roll it back to where it was) and it's by far the toughest of the 3 to turn around. I agree there could be some more buttons though - kind of wish the 2-way selector could also rebind the rest of the configurable buttons as well.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
In what way do you like it better than Gx1. I am curious since I am considering same upgrade . Thanks

the 2x teleconverter is not just a crop ....... it maintains the pixel pitch of the sensor, cropping in PP does not maintain the pitch.

As Sammy noted it seems more like true TC, but I have not really looked into what it actually is (just haven't had the time). But the down grade in image quality with a good lens is probably not much different than if I were to get a cheap lens to cover the extra reach so.....

....Would like a plate or grip for it that's similar to the one the E-M10 got as an accessory. Not convinced by the UNX and don't dig the JB Designs one.

Hopefully someone will. Though it's really only with a lens like the 14-140 that I would really like it.

....* 5 axis IBIS - utterly transformative for someone like me with fairly shakey hands

* the two way switch to flick between instant control of aperture/shutter, and white balance/iso - again something where I still occasionally go to thumb the wheel around the 4-way pad as on the PM2 and am forced to think "oh right, I have this thing. Wow that's so much better" :D.....

Love these

....Stuff I thought I would use more often but don't (yet)

* the ability to bind mysets to the mode dial - this was actually the one thing that made me really regret going for the PM2 rather than the PL5 (there was a fairly vast gulf in price between them at the time I got the PM2) - at the moment still a "nice to have" thing, not really using it as much as I thought. Probably need a larger lens collection for it to matter that much.

* focus peaking - thought this would be huge, really don't use it that much given that I have the VF-4. VF-4 plus magnification is actually a lot more appealing to use and I really only turn on FP when (somewhat perversely) I want to know where focus 'isn't' in the scene.

Never really used the mysets kind of things in any cameras I have/had. But I do like the peaking. I have the 7.5 fish and it's handy.

....Stuff I don't enjoy much -

* the grip - both the thumb grip at the rear and the front grip should really have had a little more work, I think. I'll have to see how the JB wood grip goes when it gets here (was going to use sugru but decided I would rather sugru a detachable grip than the actual camera body if need be).

* wish the pop-up flash was more flexible - it seems like they went for "what's the biggest thing we can fit in this hole" straight off without thinking of many other usage cases. Wish it tilted and maybe had an integrated/flip up diffuser that would collapse with it.

Grip could be better and I do wish the flash tipped up.

....- Change the pop-up flash to one built into the body like on the Fuji X100S. Only use for a built-in flash for me would be to trigger a flash. The EM1 provides a FL-LM2 flash which is small enough to be carried around if needed and comes in handy to use a trigger.
That's pretty much it. Maybe add one or two more customizable Fn buttons. I like the EP5, but with a few tweaks, it would be something I would immediately buy as a second m43 body.

Actually built in flash for me would be a bad thing. It would make the reflection angle much closer to the lens, not something I would like. Ass for buttons / config options. I would like to be able to assign metering mode to a button. But other than that..

davidzvi

Real Name
David

OK the GX1 vs E-P1. The GX1 is smaller and actually has a better grip and better level gauge. (IMHO) But otherwise :wink:

Mainly the user control panel versus the Q-Menu/invisible buttons/onscreen touch function buttons/...... It's just easier to control the functions that I normally use. The Q-Menu could be great, if you could put anything you wanted on it. But you can't.

sgreszcz

Mu-43 Veteran
the 2x teleconverter is not just a crop ....... it maintains the pixel pitch of the sensor, cropping in PP does not maintain the pitch.

Could you please explain this more? The Panasonic cameras do a straight crop in ETC mode - wouldn't that be a better image than how Olympus does the Digital Teleconverter? I haven't been too impressed with the DTC output myself.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
I got the E-P5 as a backup to the E-M5 but after a short while I loved the E-P5 so much better I sold my E-M5. I personally was fumbling to reach buttons on the E-M5 when at eye level. Much less fumbling for me on the E-P5 with VF-4 attached. As most of my images are captured indoors I leave the VF-4 off as the rear LCD is high enough resolution for me to manual focus on easily. Even in open shade I prefer the LCD for composition/framing over the VF-4. However when the bright sun comes out it's very nice to have the VF-4 handy as it's the best EVF I've ever looked through. I also think they have tweaked the focusing to be faster and more reliable. If I decide to get a back up camera now it will be another E-P5.

Mlndqvst

New to Mu-43
I have used a sony 5n for a few years and getting a olympus ep5 feels like a big leap forward. Even though the 5n sensor can really produce wonderful detail and color I missed so many shots due to the sloow everything.
Ep5 is in the moment! Im looking forward to really make this camera my no1 tool.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mu-43 mobile app

Johbremat

Mu-43 Regular
If I had a second m43 body, I would have the Oly 17/1.8 on one and the Oly 45/1.8 on the other. That would be killer! :D
Actually, contrary to statements made elsewhere I've actually taken the O12-40 off my E-M1 a couple of times...

...to carry it with the O75 while also using the O17 on the E-P5.

Latest threads

Top Bottom