1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 Shutter Shock Reduction Idea

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Apr 3, 2014.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I've noticed with my mini tripod attached my shutter shock is substantially reduced while I'm holding the camera. I think what's happening is that the body resonance frequency is changing due to physical attachment. This is why I've also noticed a slight reduction in shutter shock when I have my VF-4 attached.

Right now, I haven't done any A/B testing but an idea that occurred to me is that if you put a case on the E-P5, it might help a lot since it will change the resonance frequency of the camera. Just an idea and maybe someone who already has a case can do a test?

Something like this Gariz case

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I have the same Gariz case. Out of all the images I've taken I've only had 1 image that might be suffering from shutter shock.
    The images that was mentioned in the other thread about SS.

At work right now, but I'll test it out later in the evening.

3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Interesting idea, would certainly be worth a try. Anecdotally:
    • Attaching an RRS plate and grip to my E-M5 didn't fix shutter shock on it.
    • Attaching a massive and heavy 3-way tripod head to an E-M1 eliminated all signs of shutter shock. Yes, it looked as ridiculous a contraption as you imagine.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    To eliminate shutter shock, you need weight to dampened this vibration. Preferably lots of it. Or turn on the anti-shock delay which can help reduce or eliminate this shock completely.

5. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Personally, I haven't found AS to really help with some kinds of lenses like the Panny 12-32.

I think the material might also be a determining factor rather than just weight. Same reason why a sheet of aluminum isn't as effective as a sheet of dry wall in reducing noise.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you make it out of LEAD it will be even better.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I'm home and have been testing the camera out.
    However, I cannot get the Gariz case off :confused: The "Gun-Shot" ring of the case is stuck..I've used a 2 different size tweezers but still can't get it off.

So there won't be any comparison shots from me.. but I will say the case adds some weight and better grip for shooting.

Sorry I couldn't help.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Adding mass obviously alters the frequency response, so the effect could appear at a different shutter speed.

9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I suppose it will only likely to affect even slower shutter speeds since you "add" some weight? won't be worse.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Just a reasonable damper on the camera should suffice. My E-M1 hasn't had that issue, as far as I'm aware:

e-m1b.

:)

11. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I posted this on another thread last week. As mentioned i have only noticed SS at 1/160s on my EP5 with Oly 45 mm attached. My method seemed to help me.
    hi,
    I occasionally do experience shutter shock in my EP5. This morning i was testing my new Oly 45 mm at home and at 1/160 i saw this:.
    EP590168.JPG

U can notice the double horizontal lines clearly. Now this goes away when i use a 1/8 sec anti shock, however at higher shutter speeds i do not like the delay - also takes away the element of speed from such a lovely camera.
    I just happened to hold the camera in a different maybe a bit more amateurish way ( in my iphone photo below ) and it seems to reduce if not eliminate SS.

EP590169.JPG
    I think holding the camera in that position dampens the internal shutter vibration to an extent. I gently squeeze the top and bottom of the left side of the body when actuating the shutter.I m very excited by this,now i will test this out at different problematic shutter speeds and see if its effective!

photo10.JPG

Let me know if you guys also see an improvement.
    UNQUOTE

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't have much of a problem with SS on my E-P5 (and I've tried hard to expose it). It does happen from time to time - usually at around 1/180th sec. However, I do have a half case fitted (similar to the Gariz). I'll try some comparison shots with/without, but it'll have to wait - away for a week (with my E-M5).

13. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I tried some test shots with and without the case. I didn't detect any discernible difference TBH. I used a Pana 14-42 PZ which I have on loan from a friend (interestingly, this lens has its own bad press on blurry photos!). In neither case did I see any particular evidence of shutter shock.

16. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    The weight (or more precisely the mass) of the case is surely a small fraction of the camera, plus the attached lens. The result is nothing more than expected.
    Need to mount a few accelerometers and find out what's going on, but what sort of user would want to go to that length. I'd be surprised if olympus haven't.

17. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    The E-P5 will get a firmware update with the 0s anti-shock option we've seen in the E-M1 very soon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I had heard the rumor and thought it was just that until I checked on it this morning:
    http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-p5-fi...-adds-anti-shock-feature-same-as-on-the-e-m1/

Now it's an FT5 rumor :) If the firmware update does come out and it does everything it claims to, I'd give the E-P5 a serious look.

19. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, it's really good news. Not only no shutter shock issues, but it'll make the shutter operation quieter.

20. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    It's more than a rumor :) This morning I've received an eMail from Olympus UK about a different topic and in it they've mentioned the firmware update with the new anti-shock option for the E-P5. They didn't mention a date, but the firmware update is definitely coming and their words were "We've just made this a firmware update for the E-P5" so I would guess the release is very soon.

• Like Like x 2