1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 showed up today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Jan 16, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I waited impatiently for the UPS guy to arrive. Finally the package came in. I got the camera out and immediately started playing with it. I'm very excited with this new toy. For sure it's beautiful. Now I have a minor problem. What to do with all these? :wink:

mftcameras.

ep-5.

[​IMG]

ep-5-3.

• Like Like x 3
  2. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Looks great! I have that same kit! Love it!

3. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Sweet!

4. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Looks nice, how do you like the handling and function compared to the Em5? My Ep5 comes in tomorrow and I am still at odds to which one I will like more. Have you tried any big lenses on it? Does it unbalance the camera at all if so?

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's a very formidable array of bodies that you have there! :cool:

6. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM

I just received a new EP5 yesterday that I ordered from Henry's in Toronto. The deal was too good to pass up. Now I have two EP5s - a black one and a silver one. I feel pretty extravagant, but I like shooting with two bodies and I convinced myself that the difference between my EP3 and the EP5 was significant enough to justify the new purchase.

I obviously enjoy the camera - so I share your excitement. Now I too have to decide what to do with my old camera. I'll be interested to hear how you compare the EP5 and the GX7. I considered going that direction, but somehow it doesn't hold any sex appeal for me. On paper it's a really good camera and a lot of people are excited about it, but in my subjective heart I decided to stick with what I knew. Enjoy!

7. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I do love the looks of the EP5. Nice set up you have, and you know if that is too many cameras for you I'd take one off your hands for you. haha :drinks:

8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    E-P5 pros:

Great build quality
    Looks fantastic
    Amazingly good IBIS
    WiFi worked right away
    Faster shutter speed
    All the great qualities of the E-M5 plus more
    VF4 is totally awesome but a bit bulky and messy to install, remove and store

GX7 pros:

Lighter weight
    Great looks
    Great ergonomics
    Easy to use, easy to focus
    Built in EVF is less obtrusive than the VF4 but not nearly as good.
    Fantastic IQ and very good low light performance.

Of course, both cameras are really awesome, but the tremendous superiority of the Olympus IBIS is really noticeable. One could say that we have become used to it and it's a crutch, but it's frustrating to get blurry shots with the GX7 that would be tack sharp with the E-P5 or E-M5.

The GX7 is much easier to stow and use than either of the E-P5 with the VF4 installed of the E-M5 with the grip/battery holder. I put the big PL 100-300 on the E-P5 to see how it felt and functioned. I shot the moon on M mode on a tripod. The lamp and the 35mm OM camera were shot hand held with AUTO ISO. I think they came out very well.. All the shots were with zoom full out at 300mm.

The big lens does not affect the balance of the camera since one can actually use the lens to hold the camera.... It felt fine with it but its definitely bulky. Also while my Dolica carbon fiber tripod held it with no problem, the little flexible leg tripod could not hold the weight of the lens and it pitched forward and the legs spread out...

The pictures of the E-P5 with the 100-300 were taken with the GX7 and the PL25 1.4 after setting the ISO to Auto. Lighting was challenging for all the shots. It's indoors at night (except the moon) and with a mixture of electric lights and unlit areas.

All my criticisms should be taken with a grain of salt as they are highly subjective, YMMV, etc. It's really hard to choose between them because they have different superior qualities and negative Points.

ep-5-4.

ep-5-5.

ep-5-6.

ep-5-7.

ep-5-8.

9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I took these right after getting the camera. I wanted to get the blurr of the fan blades so I shot it at 1/20" hand held. That great IBIS and ISO 2500 worked well. The other shot was hand held without even looking, out of the window of the car while driving home. I think the camera was set to Auto.

ep-5-9.

ep-5-10.

10. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Wow man those are some great pics and thanks for the detailed mini review. Glad you're enjoying the new and old cameras alike! I myself have been thinking about getting the panny 100-300mm or the oly 75-300mm. Your moon shot is pretty impressive. I'm hoping to try some moon shots with the Ep5 and my 450mm Lentar lens weather permitting. :)

11. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Which one among these three do you like most?

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I can't decide... I'll probably play with them a while and see which I keep. Not one is perfect but they are all very, very good.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Something is off here...I think you should also get an E-M1! :tongue: :biggrin:

14. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Ha, ha, It has been brought to my attention already LOL! Actually my friend suggested I sell them all and buy the E-M1.....

15. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I got my E-P5/vf4/17mm kit new for less than the E-M1 body alone, that's what was the draw for me as I wanted to try out the 17mm lens. And I personally think the E-M1 is kind of bulky looking with the protruding grip. Though I already own a DSLR with weathersealing and phase detect so I guess I figure I'll use that in place of the E-M1. I'm waiting for an E-M5 type camera with the specs and maybe a bit more than the E-P5 and/or E-M1. I used the E-M5 for a month before I bought the Pen, I loved the E-M5's handling and style because it's more like a DSLR. But I really like the E-P5's features and the giant viewfinder, I looked at them side by side and I just enjoy looking threw the VF4 more. My only regret is I sold my pana 20mm to fund it...

16. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Thanks, Silver92b. Though I'm months away from being able to afford any upgrade, I have been considering either the E-PL5 or the E-P5 as a replacement for my Olympus PEN E-PL3. Then someone on Google+ suggested I take a look at the Panasonic GX7, which totally spun me around, as I had not considers switching to Panasonic at all. I am a new entrant to the MFT world but loving my little PL3! Loving it so much that now I want more! So, appreciate your little summary of the pros of the E-P5 and the GX7, Silver92b! Thanks. I, too, will be interested in your assessment of its performance and, most especially, handling in comparison to your experience with the GX7. In looking at images and watching review videos, I feel the VF makes the gx7 bulkier, plus the E-P5's new approach with top front and real control wheels appeals to me. Know gx7 has similar controls, but I like the Olympus menuing and configuration capabilities.

I've been documenting my experiences with my E-PL3 at http://www.infotor.com/blog/category/mft/.

Bill

17. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I would think if you enjoy the E-PL3 probably sticking with olympus might be your best bet. And if you do upgrade I would recommend the E-P5 as I have been loving the peaking mode and 1/8000s shutter speed. The P5 definitely has a more "pro" or "enthusiasts" feel too, which I like. And the GX7 is actually smaller and perhaps a bit more ergonomic than the E-P5 especially when you have the VF4 attached which I think is essential. I was also tempted by the GX7 but when I heard Panasonics IBIS was a good deal behind Olympus I passed. I would enjoy the integrated EVF rangefinder style but I couldn't pass up the performance of the E-P5. From what I hear Panasonic has improved the color rendition on the GX7 which was always a complaint of mine coming from the GX1 Jpegs which to me looked a bit flat. I still have my GX1 mostly as a spare body and the fast that it's so tiny.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very easy ... I am happy to take GX7 and will send you a pm with my postal address . I am sure others are happy to take EM5 so that u can happily live with ep5 . IIts not good to practice POLYCAMY :biggrin:

19. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
  20. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Ah yes, Polycamy... Illegal almost everywhere. Whatever shall I do? :biggrin:
    All kidding aside, I think the GX7 will be put up for sale very soon......