E-P5 settings - responsiveness

tbyork2012

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,
Recently I have been trying to shoot my puppy with the E-P5, and noticed that there was noticeable shutter lag after pressing the shutter and the picture being taken, which is not ideal for a moving target. I recall reading about switching off focus peaking (both in manual focus assist and not assigning peaking to any buttons) resulting in improved responsiveness of the E-P5. The other benefit of this is that the Frame rate of liveview (previously shaded out) on menu d can now be switched to high, which is supposed to improve AF speed further. I have also set the shutter lag to short, and set the picture mode to Vivid (supposedly improves AF speed in low light by boosting contrast). Now I can say that there is significant improvement in the handling of the E-P5, making me think I may not need to get the E-M1 after all.

The reason for posting this, though much of this has been covered before, is that I was reading about the features of the E-P5 on the Olympus Malaysia website and it mentioned that the time lag is quoted at 0.044s with the shutter lag set to short. http://www.olympusimage.com.my/products/dslr/ep5/feature/06/

But it also mentioned this is when IS is off and shutter half pressed. Has anyone noticed a difference in shutter lag with and without IS? I have tried both with IS on and off, and don't really notice any real world difference in shutter lag. The main problem slowing down the shutter release for me previously was the peaking feature.

Boon

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You have mentioned some settings to improve AF speed.
This is irrelevant to shutter lag.

Are you looking for the fastest speed between pressing the shutter and the camera autofocusing and taking the picture,
or are you seeking the minimum shutter lag?

tbyork2012

Mu-43 Veteran
Both actually. Although the bit which was a bigger problem was the shutter lag - which has been rectified by disabling the peaking feature. My query was whether the use of IS (or not) in short shutter lag mode made any difference to the shutter lag experienced by E-P5 users?

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
As far as I noticed, the E-P5's shutter lag is very very short, specially if you enable the short lag setting. I don't think you'll gain much in terms of shutter lag even if you get the E-M1...

Regarding your query, I don't remember ever noticing any difference in shutter lag whether IS is on or not. I don't have an E-P5 anymore though. Maybe other users can share their experience.

Real Name
Nic
I've been trialling having the "Half Way Rls With IS" option set to off to see if there is any difference in the effectiveness of the IS on the E-P5. If there is any reduction in shutter lag by having this option set to off it is imperceptible.

Latest threads

Top Bottom