1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 Loving it! Roberts ebay sale - who else got one?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by speedandstyle, Nov 7, 2015.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

http://www.43rumors.com/400-off-and-free-evf-on-the-e-p5-at-roberstcamera/

43 rumors posted the above on Tuesday letting their readers know about a great deal on the E-P5. I had been wanting one since they came out but the price was just too high{IMHO}. $400 for one with a free VF4 viewfinder was just too good to pass up. Seeing there were only a few available and having the funds I bought one.

It came yesterday and I have to say I am very impressed. My only complaints are the small and odd grip and the heavy weight{for a PEN}. I haven't had a chance to fully go out and shoot but from playing with it I like it very much. I can't make it do the dreaded shutter shock so perhaps my example is free from it. It takes great pictures, focuses way better than any other PEN I have owned and the controls are awesome.

Did anybody else get one of these from Roberts?

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    What a great deal! Enjoy it. Unfortunately I don't have one so I can't help you with your question.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, it was a great deal wasn't it? I gave in to my nostalgia (I have an original Pen F) and ordered a silver one. I'm not entirely sure that's a good enough excuse for another camera, but I figure I can park one of my primes on it. At least it shares batteries with my E-M1...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I had a massive bout of G.A.S this last month which was eventually put under control when I attempted to justify replacing my E-P5. I couldn't. You look at the current batch of newer m43 cameras and even the early A7 models that are available for cheaper prices these days and realise that the E-P5 with VF4 and assorted lenses is all you need right now.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    I jumped on it. I'd been keeping my eye open for a used E-P5 for $300 to upgrade from my ep3, and figured I could sell my VF2 for $100+ to offset the upgrade to the VF4. I'm super excited as I mainly shoot on legacy glass and have been dying to use the peeking tool. Plus, this was a new camera with warranty!

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also use many adapted legacy lenses and was one reason I wanted the E-P5. The peaking works very well but since you only have white or black it is limited in low contrast situations. At work we have Panasonic AF100 video cams that have red peaking and red works much better than white. Still it is much more better than trying to use magnify{I know not proper grammar}. I set my Fn button to "peaking" for quick and easy use of this function.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you guys want to shoot MF glass, I think I'm going to have to lean towards the newer camera bodies. The E-M5 II and E-M10 II have better focus peaking with more customization. On the older bodies, the FP acts more like an art filter, while on the newer bodies it's on par with Sony's FP and someways a bit better.

8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Magnify > focus peaking IMO, if you have the time.

9. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I generally find I use the magnify more for macro work and the peaking more for telephoto stuff - if you're not vaguely aware of what 'should' be there magnify can be a bit confounding to look at, and finding a moving subject in a tree with it is balls. The P5's peaking really hates the loss of light/loss of sharp difference between in and out of focus you get when you're working stopped down at macro apertures - quite common for it to find literally nothing to highlight past about F8 at 1:1.

10. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    There are times where I take setup time, but I do like taking on the fly shots which I would assume I could get a more consistant result with the peaking.

11. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    While I'd love to have the new gear, I have other items in life I'd rather invest in. Specifically since camera's themselves depreciate in value so quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The shutter shock fix is to install the latest firmware, then set it to the zero delay shutter mode.
    They are lovely little cameras.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    A little off topic but I had my E-P5 converted to full color IR photography and these make fantastic IR cameras! :2thumbs:
    Bobby :coffee-30:

14. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have two E-P5 and I found the grip a bit too small too to handle the slightly heavier body and maybe a bit heavier lens attached.
    First I considered an add-on grip that attaches with a plate at the bottom (from eBay) but that was too bulky, then I decided to modify the grip and model it with Sugru (silicon putty)
    Here is what I did http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/digital-camera-hand-grip-modification.html
    I am now very happy and I find the grip just right.

• Like Like x 3
  15. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    Thank You! I had read about this issue and have been trying to find a solution to the problem. I like the sugru idea a lot! Off to Amazon!

16. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I like to shoot with funky old vintage glass too but I find the focus peeking not that effective on lenses that deliver low contrast.
    The peeking is kind of "mushy" on those lenses, nothing like on the native sharp M.Zuiko lenses.
    I tend to use magnification instead, around X7.
    It does take a bit longer and some moving subjects are occasionally missed (they move away...) but I end up with higher percentage of sharp images that way.
    I also find the VF-4 rather important with legacy lenses while with wider angles native is not essential

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Another DIY grip for EP5

and btw, the deal was posted here first, and then 43rumors posted it on his site.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The original deals have run out but Roberts has posted them again. Go to the original offer page on eBay and then look at the similar offers listed lower on the page. Click either the silver or black E-P5 offerings priced at $399 and there you have it. Both newer listings indicate limited supply.

And, BTW, I might be crazy because I really don't need it, but I pulled the trigger on a silver version. I always wanted one and the price with the VF-4 thrown in for free was too good to ignore. My E-M5 and E-M10 are both refurbs but the E-P5 will be brand new. And I have plenty of Zuiko lenses to use on it.

19. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    The Roberts website has the body, lens, evf bundle for $100 less than the eBay deal. Insane deal. I bought two!

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    in case anyone is having trouble finding the deal on the roberts website, here's a link. can't believe this deal.

PEN E-P5 with 17mm f/1.8 and VF-4 Viewfinder

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2