1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 HISTOGRAM PROBLEM - with exposure compensation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by trailguru, Jul 16, 2015.

1. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    My EP5's histogram doesn't update when I set an exposure compensation value. It just shows the 'uncompensated' values. This is true both in A and S modes and when the exposure compensation is set using either the dial or wheel. Is this a fault or is there a setting to change that I've missed?

Firmware installed: 1.6

2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Does the photo itself reflect the exposure compensation? I.e. is the final exposure as intended but the histogram is wrong, or are both histogram and final exposure out of line with what you expect?

Does this happen in all exposure conditions? Or could it be, for example, that you are using a wide aperture in bright light and the camera is already at its fastest shutter speed so can't reduce exposure further?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    Hi Alan
    Thanks for responding. The photo reflects the camera settings including any exposure settings, the histogram doesn't. The result is that the histogram is no longer a useful tool assessing exposure adjustment, you're back to estimation and checking the result on the review screen. Aperture selection doesn't effect the issue. I should add that the equivalent display on my E-PL5 works fine, so I know what it should be doing.

4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I just checked my EP5 and the histogram updates when I adjust exposure compensation, as expected.

As long as I'm not in Shutter-priority mode.

The EV display in Shutter-priority looks different than on other modes. I never use S mode, so not sure if it's something I can change.

5. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I never use the histogram (I'm afraid I don't understand them!), but I checked whether my E-P5's histogram changed with exposure compensation. It does, it moves left or right when you adjust exposure compensation. This was in aperture priority mode.

6. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    OK guys - I think I've sorted it (assuming this is how the camera is supposed to behave): I reset the Live Boost (available through Menu>Tools>Disp/)))/PC>Live Boost) to OFF. Now the histogram responds to exposure compensation inputs.

So it seems setting Live Boost to ON disables the histogram 'live' response.

All replys have been appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    FYI from the manual:

Live View Boost - If [On] is selected, priority will be given to making images clearly visible; the effects exposure compensation and other settings will not be visible in the monitor.

8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    And I've just found that it wasn't working for me in Shutter-priority mode because I had the dial set to flash compensation, rather than exposure compensation. Like I said, I never use that mode :p

9. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    Just goes to show that, whilst the menu options are brilliant for setting the camera up to behave the way you want, it doesn't always behave the way you expect. The manual is bit sparse detailing the effects sometimes.

The answer I got from Olympus Support, when I related the issue, assumed (rightly or wrongly but certainly rudely) I was too dumb to operate the exposure compensation correctly in the first place! Their answer:
    "Regarding your question as to why the Live Histogram doesn't respond to exposure compensation inputs. Please make sure you press the [+/-] button first, and then use the </> to change the EV value. The Live Histogram will then respond to exposure compensation inputs."

I will inform them of what the solution was.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015