E-P5 HDR bracketing help...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuclearboy, Jun 29, 2014.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I am using the E-P5 to take some HDR shots and I really like the effect under some conditions. My questions relates to how to effectively use the E-P5.

Currently, I have assigned the Fn button to HDR bracket and when I get into that mode, the camera will take the shots successively with one shutter release. As far as I can tell, it takes the shots based on the last HDR mode that I used in the camera settings. For instance, 5f 2.0 EV gives me five quick shots spaced at 2.0EV. for -4, -2, 0, +2, +4 EV.

My question relates to setting the EV spacing for the bracketing. First, it seems that the setting used is the last one that I select under bracketing but then I have to turn it off to use the camera normally and re-activate it with the Fn button later. This seems a little strange but it works for me.

Next, the 2.0 EV spacing usually blows out the highlights at +4 and loses almost everything at -4.0. What would make more sense to me would be 1.0EV spacing. They offer 2.0 and 3.0EV spacing.

There are other bracketing modes but the HDR mode is nice because the camera takes all of the photos with a single shutter release.

Does anyone else use the E-P5 for HDR and do you have any advice? What I think is needed is 1.0 EV spacing for 5 or 7 shots.
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Use AE Bracketing set to 1.0 EV and Sequential Shooting mode and that will do what you described. (from page 66 of the manual)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    2.0EV adjustments can be easily recovered in Lightroom from raw files, so I would go 2-3EV steps.
    +4EV is all about darkest areas, the whole point in HDR is to get details on different frames that cannot be done in one frame, so it's ok to loose data in highlights in +4EV frame.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Clipping is fine on an individual frame as long as what's clipped is exposed well on some other frame (with sufficient overlap), so in practice 3 frames can give enough total dynamic range for practically any landscape.

I would actually suggest to minimise the total number of frames to reduce the amount of movement (e.g. wind blowing trees) across the frames. When I see movement effects I have to blend manually in Photoshop, which quickly gets to be a PITA when there are many frames involved...
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Photomatix does a good job of the blending for me. My main concern was the +2.0EV steps resulting in about 60-70% of the frame clipped at +/- 4.0 EV.

I wanted to try using smaller steps but the HDR bracketing on the E-P5 is either 2.0 or 3.0. I was wondering why not 1.0.

The solution MajorMagee provided is one way but I will probably loose the one step HDR access that I have now.

I will keep experimenting with this and thanks for all the suggestions.