E-P5 for $240

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rich.smith, Jul 18, 2016.

1. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Currently listed at $239.99 on the Olympus reconditioned site. Very good price. I ordered the silver body. I will be selling my GX1 to defray some of the cost.

I have been eyeing an E-PL7 for quite a while. The only advantage (for me) of the E-PL7 is the shared batteries with the E-M10. Although, I plan to replace my E-M10 with an E-M1 with the next sale on the Oly reconditioned site.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I picked up a brand-new E-P5 with the VF-4 for $399 when Roberts was closing them out last year. This is still a very formidable camera. 1/8000th of a second shutter speeds (like the E-M1) and a very solid build. If anyone has any interest at all in the E-P5, they should jump on this $239 deal for the body only right now. The perfect companion to the E-M1.

3. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    The Olympus site also lists the E-P5 with VF-4 and 17mm f1.8 for $479.99. Unfortunately, the link is dead (probably sold out) or I would have purchased that instead.

4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    E-P5 definitely better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    Well, didn't need another body, but oh well. :dance2:

Thanks @rich.smith@rich.smith !

6. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Wow. 20% off sale today drops the price to $192.

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you have any interest at all... don't think about it - just do it! And use Amin's links, of course. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I'm thinking about it but do I really need another camera body? Hopefully it will sell out before I try to actually buy it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. musicwack

musicwack Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    James
    Owner of an E-M1 and E-M5 here and bought one anyway! Dooooo it!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

$191 was too hard to pass up. This was $800-900 18 months ago. I'll give one a try.

• Like Like x 3
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I almost bought one, but in the end I just couldn't do it. I just don't like cameras w/o a viewfinder built in. The site is extremely slow, and a lot of items that show as available generate a 404 PAGE NOT FOUND error when you click on them. It's an exercise in frustration ATM.

12. tkbslc

Yeah. They need to add some extra servers when they do these sales.

I really had no reason to buy one. Sometimes hate really good deals!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    Didn't need it also, but will be an upgrade for my wife who is currently using the E-PL5.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Once they added the zero second anti-shock, this is a really good camera. For the price, it's cheaper than most if not all the PL series but with the 5 axes IBIS. If nothing else, you have really good "throw it in the car" camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Exactly. Shutter shock is pretty severe on this camera, but with the zero second anti-shock it gets to another level of sharpness. Certainly better than any point and shoot out there, at the price of a point and shoot.

16. tkbslc

After my X100T thread, I kind of intended to just park my 25mm on here and use it as my "grab-and-go". Just saved $1000. :)

(Although it's likely just as capable as my main camera - a GX7 - other than EVF is an add-on)

17. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Is the VF2 compatible with the e-p5?

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yes, all Olympus add-on EVFs are compatible with all bodies equipped with AP/AP.2 accessory slot

19. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

I have the em-1 with pro lenses ,but wanted a more stealth camera for street work. Always wanted to try the pens and the ep-5 body was on sale for half price, so I ordered it. The batt ( bln-1) fits the em-1 , which is good. I'd like to set up a kit with 2 or 3 little oly primes. I don't know if I'll get the vf-4. My go everywhere camera is my G16, so I'm used to shooting from the screen. Gotta have a laugh though, When I shoot the streets, a lot of the time people move out of the way when I have the em-1 up to my eye. I would have liked to try the canon eos m3, but then you have a whole new system. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    As beautiful as the EP5 is, I personally came to the conclusion after owning one several years ago that an EV is essential for me. The E-M10 is available at pretty much the same price and that's a great camera too.

• Agree Agree x 1