1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P5 Focus Peaking with Adapted, Legacy & Manual Lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rich9cinti, May 23, 2013.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Another informative review by Blunty of the E-P5's focus peaking feature:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnUz8NAStw]Olympus E-P5 Review - Adapted, Legacy & Manual Lenses - YouTube[/ame]

2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    thanks - watching blunty's videos makes the E-P5 soooo tempting.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Frustrating. He just says "activate the peaking" and doesn't show how to do it with an adapted lens on the camera. I can make it work with native lenses but I'm still hunting for a way to turn it on and off with legacy glass mounted.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Okay, so it requires a dedicated button assignment. Now I'll have to see if I can find a way to make differing buttons assignments stick within the Mysets because I just tried it and they wouldn't change as I switched back and forth. The manual lists Button Function as one of the things that can be associated to a particular Myset so I don't understand why they don't get reassigned as I go back and forth between Mysets.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Still digging into this. If I change the Myset through Shooting Menu 1 then the button assignments change, but if I do it through the infinitely more convenient mode dial assignments then the button assignments don't change. I wonder if this is a programming mistake or was done on purpose for some unknown reason?

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Could someone with an E-PL5 take a look and see if you have this same malfunction with the Mode Dial Mysets versus doing it through the Menu?

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Here's the reply from Olympus:

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Just to be a bit more specific I saved Myset 1 with the Fn button set to AEL/AFL for use as a back button auto focus with auto-focusing lenses. Myset 2 is saved with all the other settings the same as Myset 1 but with the Fn button set to Peaking for use with legacy lenses. If I change the active Myset through Shooting Menu 1 the the Fn button assignment changes successfully. If I assign the Mysets to be associated with the Mode Dial then as I change the Mode Dial position the screen displays the Myset 1 or Myset 2 icon as appropriate but the action associated with the Fn button never changes.

For example, if the camera was in Myset 1 and I change the Mode Dial position to Myset 2 the Fn button still triggers the AEL/AFL, but if I go to the Shooting Menu and set it to Myset 2 the Fn button triggers Peaking as it should. I've tried this with the Fn, Rec, and Magnify buttons and they all fail to change when the Myset is changed through the Mode Dial, but change just fine if it is changed through the Shooting Menu. Other Myset values do change when the Mode Dial is changed so it is not that the Mode Dial to Myset association isn't working at all, it's just the button assignments that don't switch.

It seems to me that there is a fault in the programming of the Firmware where the Myset can be associated to the Mode Dial position. It acts as if the part of the Myset list of settings concerning the button assignments is not being passed to the part of the program that decides what to do when the Mode Dial position has been changed.