E-P5 firmware Upgrade for Shutter Shock is Coming according to 43Rumors.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If true , would make Ep5 a more interesting option indeed.

2. dgphelps

dgphelps Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2013
    Has anyone confirmed it works for the OMD now that it is out? I tried checking for comments from users but didn't see anything clearly stating it's gone.

3. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Yes, over at dpreview there are many tests from users, all report it worked like a charm!

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Ming Thien on his site claimed that 2 out of 3 E-M1 which received the new firmware update worked great. The third one is still suffering from shutter shock with the new firmware. He's still figuring out why this is the case. Also he worries that with electronic shutter, motion artifacts can be introduced because this camera wasn't designed for it but he's still testing it out. In my case, I set the shutter lag time to short to pre-cock the shutter with 1/8 anti-shock if I am shooting indoors with a slower shutter speed. The problem isn't apparent with higher speeds of more than 1/320 sec though. I will take the update nonetheless if it means saving some battery power.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    With a rumored successor coming, this will certainly help Olympus move the old E-P5 stock. The E-P5 seemed to excite only a small group (at the original price), and that DPR shutter shock commentary didn't help at all. With refurbs available at under $600, this firmware upgrade could be enough to push folks over the edge.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    So here's my question: Can this fix be applied to the E-PM2/E-M5 bodies? The P5 and M1 bodies have a different shutter, after all.

7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    According to Ming Thien, the P5 shares the same shutter mechanism as the M1. The only difference is the sensor; P5 is Sony and M1 is Panasonic so I presume that the implementation of this 0 sec anti-shock will be different to take into account of motion artifacts which can be induced through this electronic shutter approach.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I said that badly. I meant that the P5 and M1 share the same shutter mechanism which is different from the one in the PM2 and M5.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I would have thought differences in the shutter are not material (so long as it can be programmed to close/open rather than close/open/close/open). It'll be the ability of the sensor to clear down and start the new exposure quickly enough to match the speed of the closing mechanical shutter.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Slight delay in the release date according to 43Rumors.

11. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I wonder what "slight" means?

12. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    Maybe, if there would be something to fix. So far it has only been a huge issue on the E-P5 and slightly on the M1 who share the 1/8000 shutter.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    IMO, it was more or less an issue with any Olympus m43 camera, that's why anti-shock feature was always there.
    It's only being mentioned in Dpreview review made it big for poor EP5.

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Sometime in April perhaps?

15. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Efcs comes from the sensor. I would be wary of this rumor.

Unless the ep5 has a newer sensor than the em5, epl5 and epm2, I don't think it's possible. Of course maybe that original sony sensor is capable of it but I have strong doubts.

16. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    IIRC, the NEX cameras with Sony Exmor have had "true" EFCS (unlike the E-M1 firmware fix where apparently the mechanical shutter operation is unchanged) since at least the NEX-7, which is older than any of those cameras.

17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yrs, I've been thinking the same. If I understand correctly, the key thing to deliver electronic first curtain is the ability to clear down the pixels quickly enough (from live view mode) such that it matches the closing speed of the "second" shutter. OTOH, the mechanical shutter will need reprogramming such that its action is close/open rather than close/open/close/open and that the first closing is timed to closely follow the electronic first curtain - so I suppose it needs both sensir and shutter to work together.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Why? Most Sony sensors from the past 3 years have had it. Same for most Panasonic sensors. It's a pretty common feature on the sensor-end. The problem has always been the shutter-cocking mechanism not supporting it, and so far as we know, the E-P5 shares the E-M1's shutter.

19. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That makes sense Dara. I'm really hoping the rumours are true. Whilst I don't have a lot of issues with my E-P5, I do get shutter shock occasionally - and I find it hard to pin down what circumstances cause it. Apart from when I was using a 14-42pz this week, I can't make it happen reliably.