E-P5 firmware update to 1.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ross the fiddler, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    Wow is that all? These firmware updates are funny :D

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Ah but, much as I admire their continuous improvement approach to products, you have remember the, sometimes unrealistic, philosophy that Japanese companies/people are not allowed to make any mistakes.

So comments like "modified", "enhanced" and "improved" that appear in their release notes just might have appeared in a US or UK release note as "bug under circumstances X and Y now fixed".

I can remember being in a technical meeting with a large Japanese corporation supply us with CCD's and support chips where they could only talk about the "upgraded" devices. We all knew the first units supplied dud not work but they were not allowed to say so!!!

4. Ross the fiddler

Maybe it was a cultural thing or else they were being careful to protect themselves against any legal comeback. :rolleyes: After all, they would be quite aware of how much the west loves to litigate. :wink: :biggrin:

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    What chenged in Version 1.1?

6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Definitely a cultural thing not litigation in the case stated.

I was advised that the closest thing to a Japanese swear word translates to "oh dear I've made a mistake"

Any Japanese speaking members of the forum able to comment?

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I am not 100% Japanese speaker but I can tell you there are worst words than that here :biggrin:

The most commonly used swear word is equivalent to "Fool, Idiot". They usually yell it to somebody who's impolite or who pisses them off. :biggrin:

8. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Apparently, they borrow swear words from other countries...
    Japanese Department Store May Want to Look Up the Word '****ing'

9. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes they borrow a loooooottttt of words from other countries.

I also saw a girl wearing a shirt that says "You can lick me", I am not even sure if she understood what the writings meant :wink:

10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I know they borrow swear words from English as I clearly remember a very upset Japanese Engineer ringing his HQ in Japan to explain just how unhappy he was with them sending the wrong parts for him to fit.

I could only understand about one word in every four - that was the swear words in English!!

11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hahaha:smilie:

12. Ross the fiddler

That was a classic! Actually a similar sounding word is used everyday in Tonga & even sung in hymns, so sounds & meanings can be quite different between languages. I guess it pays to be sure of what you're saying before you put it in print. :wink:

13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Anyone bother doing this update yet. Any hidden features or issues?

14. Ross the fiddler

We can always hope for hidden features but I haven't updated the E-M5 to 1.7 yet (from 1.6) because I won't be using a VF-4 on it any time soon as well as not hearing of any hidden improvements with that one either. :rolleyes:

15. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just did the update (took four minutes). It always makes me extremely tense when I do one of these "potentially brick my new camera" Olympus updates. As far as I can tell nothing that I actually use has really changed. I wonder why they skipped update 1.1?

16. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I also did the update a few days ago and have not noticed any differences.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Keeping an eye on this. (Still on v.1.0)

BTW, I am really enjoying shooting the EP5... awesome camera!!! :thumbup: (My E-M5 and E-PL5 are feeling quite neglected these days. :wink: )

18. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Same here, I haven't noticed anything wrong with it, so a bit wary of upgrading unless there is clear indication what it is that is being resolved.