E-P5 etc. announced!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by JLphoto, May 10, 2013.

1. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    E-P5, VF-4, and Black versions of the 45mm, 75mm, and 17mm f/1.8 lenses.

(43 Rumors)

Pre-orders at BH and Adorama!

UPDATE:
    There is also a Limited-Edition E-M5 bundle with the 17mm f/1.8 + accessories

Attached Files:

2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I didn't think I cared about black versions of the Oly primes until I saw them. Very nice. I like the black 75.

3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Expensive @ $999 for the body only... Might be a good time to snatch up some killer deals on used equipment on folks upgrading to the E-P5..

4. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Agreed. As good as it looks (silver), $999 is on par if not higher than EM5, likely a tough sell for just adding some nice-to-have functionalities. The EP5 pricing also sets the stage for next generation of OMD line ... PRICEY Camera :(

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Agreed
    The eve being external is what makes it feel overpriced to me
    Tho faux iso 100 & 1/8000 shutter are very yummy

6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is going to be a good time to snatch up used OM-D's or E-Px5 camera bodies for cheap on the forums... I am going to invest in glass this go around until the body becomes more affordable...

The wifi is nice and the remote shutter is too... but its more of a luxury feature to me... but very cool tho..

Owell... sucks being a responsible adult sometimes..:wink:

7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im really diggin' the black lenses that have been released! I wish I had the dough to pick up the 75mm and 45mm!

Anyhow, This EP-5 seems a little overpriced for its target market although the bundle price with VF and 17mm is not bad considering you get a very nice lens that retails for $500.

This camera basically is a OMD with some updates and then stuffed into the new EP5 body. I guess that means the new OMD will probably see some significant gains in tech and likely a significant price hike too considering this camera is now in the price range of the current OMD.

I think maybe $799 or $849 would have been a better price point for this camera. Still looks like a nice camera with some nice updates in addition to the current OMD but seems a little redundant at the moment (but Im sure when the OMD gets its new version released it will be less so).

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Photo story looks a fun feature. One thing I like about its implementation is that the EP5 will save the RAW files of the photos that go into making the 'photo story'.

I am not particularly wild about the wifi implementation. All seems a bit gimmicky to me. Still, on the plus side, the EP5 also continues to support eye-fi wifi cards.

9. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Agreed. EP5 pricing likely to settle down at around $800 which is what its bundle pricing W/ lens & VF are. How quickly that can happen very much depends on market demand. Good camera nevertheless, EP5 release should help further advancing Olympus in particular and m43 ecosystem at large. We now need fast Olympus Zoom in black :)

10. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
  11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Based on past new Olympus compact camera introductions, the $999 price will likely be around until at least Thanksgiving when Olympus might knock off $50-100 for the holiday season. Of course, if sales are way down then the price might come down sooner and more. But chances are sales will be good due to the very appealing styling and features of the camera and the surging economy (soaring stock market and real estate prices should be rapidly enriching the public)

12. Bolaberlim

Bolaberlim New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2013
    Portugal
    I think it looks fine, the black lenses at a regular price are a pleasant surprise. On the minus side, I still wish it had a built in EVF, but that is a dead horse not worth beating. The price is huge. Way too expensive when compared with what's available in the market. Good thing it will surely be cheaper in a couple of months!

13. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Seems like a great, new addition to the PEN line up but I think back to my EP1 use four years ago and still can't understand why Olympus doesn't want to build a viewfinder into the PEN line. I like the camera but would never buy it due to that one issue.

14. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    1. Cost.

2. Consumer demand, they have a vf variant now in OMD so appease both sets of consumers like me who don't care for the vf and perfer a larger rear screen and onboard flash. Now that a PEN has the 5axis and ISO 100 and 1\8000 I'm sold and happy as a pig in... Guaranteed sale from me.