E-P5 challenges E-M5, epic battle breaks out!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by henavs, Aug 24, 2013.

1. henavs

henavs Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2013
    For a while now, I have been looking for the ideal replacement for my E-M5. I've tried NEX-6 & X-E1, both pale in comparison to E-M5 despite having slightly better IQ. Very hard to top E-M5 as its an all-rounder & excels almost at everything.

When E-P5 came out recently, I fell in love with it instantly. My 1st M4/3 camera was E-P2, so maybe I'm being nostalgic too. Anyway, despite having better features, its just too expensive. Refuse to pay that much, I scouted for a used set. Finally got one with 17mm kit & saved myself around US$200 over buying new one.

Once reached home, the bad boy ripped through its box & went looking for E-M5 in no time. :eek:

The EVF is just amazing, it is as big as the one in 1Dx and better than the one used in NEX-6 & A99.

For some people, built in EVF is important, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I love the ol'skool look of the top mounted viewfinder.

Then again, its always better to have built-in EVF instead of crappy pop-up flash. I almost never use the E-M5 add-on flash. Since you like flash so much, E-P5, You can have it!!

Those new black lenses are nice too. The silver cameras look good in either silver & black. So tough choice here.

E-P5 is fast...Very fast. Both AF speed & shutter response is slightly better than the E-M5. Especially with the quick shutter release mode that pre-cock the shutter. Having 1/8000 shutter & ISO 100 means I no longer need ND filters on my primes when shooting on a sunny day.

I like the GX7 too, but no IBIS in video is a deal killer for me, which is my single most used feature on E-M5.

E-M1, on the other hand, maybe too expensive if the rumored price is right. The built-in VF-4 & specs are great. But we'll have to see how it turns out.

So is E-P5 the best camera to replace my E-M5?

Maybe yes? Maybe no? I cant decide yet.

For once lets forget about which body is better & stop fighting among ourselves. Cheers! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Haha awesome photos man!!!

Yes I agree the E-P5 is better than the E-M5 in almost all aspects except weather sealing.
  3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    LOL, Great set!!
  4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Love the story. Disagree with the conclusion. I need an viewfinder and a hot shoe. YMMV.
  5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    That's what i love about the E-P5. The EVF is optional so the body can be thin and streamlined, no protruding EVF. All the tech plus some in a PEN body. <3

I don't think I will ever use the EVF but I keep it around just because it's awesome and came as a set. :?
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    LOL! Wow, you have a lot of free time! Entertaining though! :wink:
  7. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Very nice set! I enjoyed looking at the photos!
  8. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    A built in viewfinder would be great but using the added viewfinder is not issue for my needs. But don't forget about the GX7? While it's IBIS is not as good as the E-P5, it will not require service to have it's sensor fully cleaned.
  9. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Thumbs! Just great set!
  10. on_arb

on_arb Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Such a crappy thread title for a

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Warning: This thread depicts scenes of violence.
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi .. I recently sold my OMD ( I am regretting) and have placed an order for body only . Here in Australia EP5 body is only for AUS 870 which is quite cheap . But I think OMD has better handling with grip and WR comes handy sometimes . OMD with grip balances well with heavy lenses. I will shoot with EP5 for next 6 months and will try top pick up a used OMD for around AUD500 mark.
  14. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Wow, well done!
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Maybe we should all get our imaginings of how he did it in quick before he answers?
    I'm thinking multiple frames and cloning out bodyparts which are holding the knives etc ... and throwing flashes.
  16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Imaginative approach. Not another drawn out debate of this vs. that.
  17. jacko

jacko New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013
    I love this. Fantastic. Do I need to worry about the E-P5 I am babysitting tearing into my 5d Mk lll?
  18. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Very cute! But one wonders what you were taking all of those (excellent) photographs with if all of your cameras were in the frame...
  19. henavs

henavs Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2013
    LOL, Thanks!

Weather sealing is nice, but unfortunately at the moment only 3 zooms and the upcoming 12-40mm f/2.8 are sealed. Since I'm a prime guy, its as good as not sealed.
  20. henavs

henavs Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2013
    Thanks! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yup, built-in EVF is definitely nice