E-P5: Black or Silver?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ricoh, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Apart from personal choices, are there pros and cons worth considering before hitting the 'order now' button?
    If bought in the UK, Olympus are giving away a 'free' VF-4, which is black I believe. So assuming I go ahead, I will of course be claiming the viewer.
    Looking at the prices, some retailers are charging a premium for the black version, why is that I wonder.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I took a look at both last week. I think that the black finish is probably a bit more durable, less resistant to scratches. The demo silver model showed a few scratches whilst the black didn't. Of course, I've no idea how long either had been on display, so it's not a good measure.

The silver looks so much nicer though - so I bought that! I reasoned that I'll look after it much better than something that gets handled by probably a100 people a day ( and in B&H, that's probably not an exaggeration).

3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Men seem to prefer goth black albeit I've noticed Japanese women tend to pick the white variant. Most cameras are black so silver or white would be a nice change, plus easier to find in the dark bag. I prefer silver but would gladly accept a white if less expensive. I'd never pay more for black...

4. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I actually prefer the white pen. Looks awesome with the silver primes too.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    White looks good with black primes too.

6. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    Buy black or white. Silver could get scathed a lot easier than black or white.

7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I prefer black for an actual photographic reason - when photographing objects that might have reflections (especially close-up macro-type things), it is easier to adjust your shooting setup with a BLACK camera. With silver you might have to cover it with a black cloth, etc, whereas with black you often don't have to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks guys, the decision was taken away from me as I came across a nice Black version on eBay which I couldn't refuse, bought it!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    What did you pay on eBay?

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Hi, £699 on eBay traded by SRS Microsystems. That's about £100 less than the cheapest I could find on the web. The price I paid will be offset by a free VF-4, which would normally cost £210 to £230 retail.
    The camera is new with a 2 year warranty.

11. I had a silver E-P1 which, aside from a few small scratches on the baseplate from resting the camera, was virtually unmarked when it was a couple of years old. After having owned a black E-M5 for over a year and a half I actually have more concerns over wear and tear on Olympus' black painted bodies.

12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    That's not what I wanted to read, but my black E-P5 is in the post.
    If the underlying base metal is brass, a worn camera looks quite good in my opinion. From the pictures ive seen, the OMD E5 and E-P5 don't age too well when the black or silver finish wears.

What is the underlying metal?

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's a good deal. With taxes in NY, I paid £565 without the VF4. That's easily worth another £130. SRS are a great seller too - you don't have problems from them.