E-P5 Battery Warning Level

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, Jul 16, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Just checking what the battery warning levels mean. On the E-P5 they go from -2 to +2. I have tried a few but since I flatten the battery pretty quickly I cannot determine what they mean.

I am guessing they make the battery warning go red quicker, but info just says select the warning level. I guess if you were doing long time exposures you would like to know earlier than normal.

Does any one know what the warning levels are as say a percentage of battery left?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Olympus batteries are not "chipped" so the battery level is determined simply by reading the voltage. It's a pretty crude way of determining the charge status so I wouldn't worry about the warning levels. They are very imprecise and will likely only mislead you. The best strategy is to keep shooting until the battery gives up and then to put in a freshly charged one (of which you should carry a good supply)!!
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I recommend changing it to +2. That is what I did for the E-P5 and the E-M1. That setting means it will warn earlier about the battery level. An earlier warning is always better than a warning that is too late.

The setting has no effect on when the battery runs out. It only changes when the camera warns you.

At one time I had some cheap batteries that would die with no warning unless the camera was set to +2. (I chucked them out eventually.)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I will try the +2 than and see what happens. After I moved from 0 to +1 I seem to get the warning a lot earlier, it will be interesting to see what the +2 does as I have some third party batteries as well.