E-P5 as 2nd body questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hwan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    I currently own the E-M1 with 12-40, 17 and 75, both in silver. I'm considering getting a second, smaller body to use with the primes.

How does the silver on the E-P5 match with my 2 primes? From online pics, it looks more like champagne which would match perfectly. Is that the color, or is it more gray looking?

Also, a large number of my shots are taken between ISO 1600 and 3200. It seems like reports say the sensors are very similar, with the E-M1 very slightly better. For those with both, can you actually tell the difference at those ISOs? I always shoot raw.

Finally, I read somewhere the True Pic VI processor doesn't correct for CA. That's only for jpeg, right? F

2. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Debating between E-M10 and E-P5 as my second body :/

3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have used my Ep5 with both of those prime… The 17 fits like a glove.. it was made for the ep5! The 75 is a heavy lens.. I have used it on the ep5 with no issues.. its a much heavier combo then the 17 & ep5.. but you have the em1 where the 75 can live and the 17 on the ep5…

4. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    Do you have them in silver? I'm wondering if the silver color matches exactly between the body and lens.

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    no i have the black body.. but it looks sweet when i have my silver 12mm on it.. people always think its a film camera.. :)

6. Melaka

Melaka New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2013
    UK
    Surely it's the performance that matters, not the colour match? My black EP5 looks fine with a silver 45/1.8. More importanlty it takes good pix and doesn't take much space.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I recently bought a new silver E-P5 as a backup for my E-M1. Works very well. No idea on colour.
    Also very cheap ($495).

8. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I've come to calling the E-P5 my 'other' body, rather than a second or backup to my E-M1.

Just finishing three weeks in Japan and carried with the E-P5 my O12, O17 and O75 (left the O12-40PRO at home and don't regret it in the least). Walking with wrist strap, half case and VF-4 attached it didn't feel like a secondary camera at all, nor did I miss the E-M1 and HLD-7.

Find the P5 to be an M1 in a different format factor. Constantly using the 2+2 switch and both cameras are setup identically. With that, and both using the BLN-1, couldn't imagine using an M5 or M10 as the other body.

No issues with any of the primes on the P5. And all are using the Olympus metal hoods.

9. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    While the performance of the camera is
    certainly the most important part, the aesthetics of the camera also matters. I would prefer for the silvers to be the same.

10. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    I'm assuming this is an import version shipped from Japan? Are you in the US? Do you pay any customs / duties for imports?

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I would think that having an em5 or em10 would make for a better second body as the ergonomics are similar with built in viewfinders.

12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I bought it from an eBay seller in S. Korea. They were selling over 50 of them - they may still have some. It came with a worldwide warranty. I did not have to pay any fees at all on import, probably because of what they put on the paperwork. I am in the UK.

I really like this little camera. Having the same battery is a great help.

13. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Hi, I've got silver 75mm and black 17mm with silver E-P5. So I only can refer to silver 75mm. The color is definitely different in body and 75mm lens. Grain in the silver coating is different and the color in lens is little bit towards champagne. But, the difference is so small that you'll forget it and don't notice it when you are shooting. But, if you are picky for these things, as I am, I would have either black body in E-P5 or change the silver lenses to black versions. I notice the difference every time I switch my lenses to the body.

(But now I will stick with what I got, I mainly shoot with Fuji nowadays, Oly is for my better half.)

• Like Like x 1