1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P5 - Alas, too good to be true

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigboysdad, Mar 8, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I thought I wouldn’t need to buy another camera for the next 5 years. Alas when turning the camera on today, barely 6 months after buying the camera, the image turns on in the flip out screen viewfinder as per normal. That’s it. No response to any buttons from there on. Turn the camera off and it doesn’t turn off, the only way to enable that is to manually take the battery out. It doesn’t change when I start this process again. I have paid for a useless box, barely 6 months’ old.

Has anyone else encountered this and better still, found a fix? Doesn't sound promising, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Very dissapointing, I can’t see the point of getting a replacement or other Olympus camera with this kind of junk craftmanship.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I know with the E-M5 there was a lock up issue to do with sleep (and other triggers, however mainly related to the camera waking up from sleep mode). It was only a problem in the initial firmware versions and fixed in later, is the firmware the latest version?

If not it might be worth updating it just to see if it will break the cycle.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Thanks eteless, after my rant, I saw that thread and the problem was solved (well, for now), by swapping memory cards. The software is up to date though. I know this is going to happen again...

I was dead set on selling all my m43 gear & migrating to another system because of this, except....I have the 75. It's that thing that makes it impossible to completely come out of m43, it's as if once you have that, you'll never ever get out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I know what it's like to love a lens like that, for me it's the 35-100mm f2.0. I don't think that without it I would leave the system though as I'm happy with other aspects... there are deficits to the system however I'm generally happy with the tradeoff for smaller size and weight that m4/3 can bring on an as needed basis (you can always bolt things on to make something bigger, taking stuff off to make things smaller is a LOT harder. Starting with a small body and adding things as needed just seems logical).

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a computer. It can crash. And sometimes there can be hardware flaws. Don't expect perfection from other systems either.

6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Of course. Being rational is the best thing in these circumstances, but can not always be guaranteed.

Mind you, it would have been easier for me to act that way if, like you, I had an A7R & a couple of lenses to revert to!:biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    What kind of memory card caused the problem?

8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    SanDisk ExtremeSDHC1 45MB/s

• Like Like x 1
  9. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    FWIW, I've used an EP5 since it was released in 2013 and it hasn't created issues with my memory card (also SanDisk). Hopefully it was a fluke of your card and not a problem with your camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Sometimes card (even SanDisK) have issue. I reformat mine every so often in the computer. I've only had my EP5 for about a year and 7K images and never had an issue. Does yours have a high shutter count? For peace of mind I'd send it in to have it checked (still under warranty right?). I too plan on keeping this camera for a long time and it just feels "right". Also you might go out for a day of imaging and take various cards and see how the all work under heavy usage. Good luck with your camera.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a SanDisk Extreme PRO that locked up my E-M10. They have a 5 year warranty, so I will try to send it back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    If anyone's reading this with the same issues, don't forget to turn off the sleep option in settings as well, as per the O-MD thread on the same issue.